Creamy tomato basil soup with a melty grilled cheese sandwich has got to be on pretty much everyone’s top 10 favorites list.
This creamy tomato soup is full of veggies (which no one will know!) with little cream and a little cheese to smooth it all out and balance out the tomatoes.
Most recipes call for canned tomatoes- which is why I LOVE this recipes. It is ALL FRESH!
How to make Creamy Tomato Soup
Everyone knows what a roux is right? So lets move on to another base basic in the french culinary world shall we? MIREPOIX. sounds like meer-pawh. A mirepoix is often a base for several kind of dishes, most common is broth. When you go to make your own homemade chicken broth you will start with 2 parts onion, one part celery, one part carrot, right? A mirepoix though, can be used as a flavor base for soups, stews and sauces. Like this soup.
Rough chop your veggies
Three different ways to cook tomato basil soup
- stove top :) just simmer in your big pot. Fresh tomatoes need to cook for a while, to all the acid is cooked out.
- crock pot. Let all the veggies simmer all day while you’re at work!
3. Instant Pot! (see the video for all the details!) This makes it so easy and fast. 10 minutes high, 10 minutes slow release.
After the vegetables have cooked and simmered, married and blended they belong in the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. I love using my blendtec because it doesn’t leave any clumps or skins behind. Make sure you vent when you’re blending.
Transfer back to a pot and stir in cheese and cream. Stir until cheese is melted and incorporated. Serve immediately! It’s a family favorite and I promise everyone will love it!
- 3lbs of red ripe tomatoes or if you are in a pinch 3 cans (or half and half)
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 small onion (about 1 cup chopped)
- 4 celery stalks (1 cup chopped)
- 3 large carrots (1 cup chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Combine broth, vegetables, garlic and salt in a slow-cooker. Let cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Before serving place half of slow-cooker contents in blender and blend.
- To the second half of vegetables add half and half in the blender and blend at the same time.
- Place back in slow-cooker, stir in cheese and basil.
- rough chop all veggies, garlic and onion and place in pressure cooker with broth and dried basil.
- cook high 10 minutes and allow to slow release at least 10 minutes.
- Blend in high powered blender until smooth and creamy.
- Return to pressure cooker and put on staute setting (if you don't have this setting return to a pan) and heat to slow simmer. add cream and parmesan cheese. Stir until incorporated and serve.