A few months ago I attended a wonderful blog conference in LA. I met some amazing social media influencers as well as many seriously talented people. It was a conference put on by the LDS church. I really enjoyed my day there, the speakers were funny, uplifting, encouraging. The swag bag, seriously swag, and of course- excellent food.
When lunch time rolled around they served the most delicious caprese sandwiches on an artisan bread with a sweet potato, arugula and couscous salad. I LOOOOOVED all of it. I’ve been anxious to make it again, the Easter potluck was the perfect opportunity. I was a little nervous to serve it…. but it was a big hit. Friends were getting seconds and thirds! (phew)
My favorite part about this dish is that it is so healthy and fresh…and filling!
First I start by washing, peeling, dicing and then baking the sweet potatoes.
Boil the quinoa and lay both out to cool.
Make the salad dressing at least a few hours before serving so the ingredients have time to blend and flavor each other. Pour dressing over right before serving. Then sit back and watch your friends devour your food. Feel proud- you have made a delicious, healthy, organic, clean, whole meal.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 cups cooked (about 1 cup uncooked) quinoa
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 TBS olive oil
- one small container of crumbled feta (about 3-4oz)
- one bag of arugla (about 3 cups or 5 oz)
- 1-2 tsp chicken bullion
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS honey
- In a blender combine fresh lemon juice, salt, lemon zest,olive oil, garlic in a blender and blend at high speed till dressing is creamy. Make dressing at least a few hours ahead of time for better flavor.
- Wash, peel and dice sweet potatoes. Toss in olive oil, smoked paprika, seasoning salt, salt. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 400 for about 20-30minutes. You want the potatoes to be fork tender but not mushy.
- Boil the quinoa with the bullion to give it a little flavor. Or you can boil your quinoa in chicken/veggie broth. it just helps every component of this salad be bursting with flavor.
- Let quinoa and sweet potatoes cool to room tempature, but allow them to lay in a single layer.
- When cool toss with arugula and feta. Toss with dressing right before serving.