With Easter morning around the corner, I thought I would share our breakfast tradition of egg souffle. I’ve shared this recipe on the blog before, but wanted to pull it forward for the upcoming holiday.
Growing up my mom would ALWAYS make this meal on Easter and Christmas morning. As an adult I’ve continued this tradition and always look forward to that little reminder of home on the holidays. Not only is this meal special and delicious – but all the work in done the night before. All you have to do come morning is pop it in the oven.
This is a simple, delicious, warm souffle. This souffle is really the base to so many delicious possibilities. My recipe is for cheddar cheese and sausage, but you could easily change it to swiss and bacon, or pepper jack and veggies…anything would work. My mom always did sausage and cheddar – so that’s what I love and continue to do.
This souffle is PERFECT alongside the pull-aparts (recipe coming tomorrow). They are both warm, fresh out of the oven, filling, and special. Add a side of fruit and you’ll have a gourmet meal without breaking a sweat.
I hope you’ll start this tradition, it really is one of my favorites.
- 8-12 pieces of white bread, crusts removed
- 1 LB link Sausage, browned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Spray a 9x13 cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Arrange your bread slices so they are completely covering the bottom of the pan. You may have to cut some piece in half, or smaller to fill the entire bottom of the pan.
- Brown your sausage, drain it on a paper towel, and cut it into 1 inch pieces. Evenly distribute the sausage pieces over the bread layer.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, and ground mustard. Whisk together until all yolks are broken and it is a pale yellow color.
- Stir in cheese. Pour over the top of the bread layer.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight. (6-8 hours.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until edges are golden and center is set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares to serve.