These drunken noodles ruined me in high school RUINED me. They are one of those foods I crave, and I crave them even though I thousands of miles away from the dang restaurant. I have found that no two thai resturants make them the same. Our favorite thai place to get curry serves their drunken noodles over shredded lettuce. I don’t like it. at all. Hot steamy noodles on a cold bed of lettuce? not my style. however, over cabbage I’d do.
Anyway. I’ve tried for years to recreate this recipe, my main hold up was that I was too nervous to go the oyster/fish sauce route. But that was years ago, now-a-days I’m a clam trying fish eating sort of brave person. After much research I’ve settled on a recipe.
I like to slice and chop my chicken first, fry in the oil, add the sauce to the chicken and then toss in the cooked noodles. Get them nice and hot. Lastly throw in the chopped basil, tomatoes and broccoli and let cook for another minute or so.
The Noodles. You will want to buy wide rice noodles. You can find them in the Asian isle of most grocery stores. They cook so so fast. Only boil for 3 minutes then run under cold water and cool them off, until you are ready to used them. This is why you will need to toss them in the skillet again- and get them nice and hot.
If you have a wok this is the perfect time to use it. If you don’t, use a nice BIG skillet. I love my (LOVE LOVE) my Henckels Pans. sooo amazing.
- 6 oz wide rice noodles
- 2-3 T soy Sauce
- 1 T sugar
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce (may add more if you want spicy)
- 1 T oyster sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 3 T oil
- 20 large basil leaves
- 5-7 garlic cloves
- 2 roma tomatoes
- optional: 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 chicken breasts (or beef pork or tofu can be used) cut into bite size pieces.
- Prepare food by chopping tomatoes, cloves, basil, and broccoli.
- Make sauce in a small by combining soy sauce, sugar, chili sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and garlic.
- Boil noodles according directions. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- In a wok or large skillet heat oil. Add chicken and cook until done, for a few minutes.
- Add sauce and stir. Add noodles and toss till coated.
- Add tomatoes and broccoli. cook for another 2-3 minutes, continually tossing.
- Lastly, add chopped basil. Toss again and Serve.