ok, I couldn’t get rid of this pic with those sweet chubby not-so-helping hands.
I have been making these caramel apple spice drinks since like…. forever. Maybe I shouldn’t admit cause they weren’t near this fancyschmancy! I’ve even given them away as neighbor gifts a few times but they were with like that cheap fake caramel sauce you buy in the jar at Walmart. Imposters. . All thanks to Steph and her dark salted caramel sauce. This caramel takes this spice drink to a whole new level. ohhhhhhh baby. It makes the apple cider go from its clear-ish color to a creamy frothy curl-your-toes-in-their-fluffy-socks on the couch during in the freezing weather, while watching a steamy chick flick GOOD. Who wouldn’t want that? So that’s why you are going to make this for all your neighbor gifts. If you can restrain yourself not to lick all the caramel sauce off the spoon.
To make the caramel sauce :
Heat sugar over low-medium heat in a heavy-bottom pan, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, or high temp spatula.
The sugar will slowly start to melt, keep cooking and stirring until completely liquified and it’s a copper color.
Add in butter, stir until completely melted.
Take pan off the heat and pour in cream. It will bubble up, so keep stirring until mixed well.
After it’s all creamy and thick and a beautiful dark amber color, add the salt and vanilla.
Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
To ensemble your drink….
Place a heaping spoonful of hot caramel sauce bottom of your mug.
drizzle, and drizzzle and drizzzzzzle that caramel sauce on top.
and sprinkle a tad of cinnamon.
For my “friends gift”I picked up a few small mason jars, wrapped in twine and chord. Then gave them instructions for the perfect Caramel Apple Spice….It’s really not that expensive! you can find the the mason jars at target (they were over by the kitchen gadget wall, bigger ones were in the grocery section)
You can give them a whole box of apple cider or just give them a couple of packets.
Target also had smaller bottles of whipped cream for like $1.50, or Costco is selling packets of whipped cream during the holidays too. You could also add cinnamon to the gift. Do all or just a few, either way it will be the bomb.com cause you gave them the caramel.
Here is a printable for your gifts. I’m making it easy! (twine was $1.50 at Michaels, chording was in Christmas gift wrap for $3)
Click to Print
- 1 c sugar
- 6 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 c + 2 T heavy cream
- 1 t coarse salt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Apple Cider Mix + Hot Water
- Whipping Cream
- Cinnamon for garnish
- Heat sugar over low-medium heat in a heavy-bottom pan, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon.The sugar will slowly start to melt, keep cooking and stirring until completely liquified. Add in butter, stir until completely melted. Take pan off the heat and pour in cream. It will bubble up, so keep stirring until mixed well. After it's all creamy and thick and a beautiful dark amber color, add the salt and vanilla. (Refrigerate up to 2 weeks)
- Add a heaping spoonful of caramel into the bottom of a mug.
- Pour in steamy hot apple cider.
- Add some whipped cream and drizzle dark caramel sauce on top.
- Finish off with a sprinkle cinnamon. Now that is a gorgeous drink.