When I say I love Mexican food, I mostly mean I love tacos, beans and rice. I'm one that tends to get what I love and stick to it. My husband is one who who loves to try all sorts of mexican food. He lived, breathed, spoke, and ate all kinds of authentic mexican food for two years. He understands their menus so much more than I and is adventurous when it comes to this type of ethnic food.
A while ago some friends invited us over for dinner. The husband is from Mexico and his wife is from Columbia. They are some of our very favorite people. This night served us delicious sopes. I had never had them before but instantly loved them.
They have a fried corn base. (You can also bake it! But Jackie fries hers.) You can also find many homemade sopes recipes, but Jackie buys hers from the local Mexican grocery store. I also love to pick up some marinated carne asada when I'm making these. Your local grocery stores will have all those other items. I go to Ralph's grocery store for their meats, they have an excellent butcher section.
I love LOVE their produce, can I say that enough? My latest favorite, which was used on these sopes, is their selection of lettuce! They have rows and rows of beautiful dark green lettuce that I have not found anywhere else AND they are so inexpensive. Fancy lettuce at any store will cost you a few $$$, but at Ralphs it was only $.99.
Sopes are really very simple. You fry them up on both sides until they are golden brown then serve immediately, while hot! with your favorite toppings.
Layer with some Refried Beans
Your favorite meat, even a ground turkey or ground beef is delicious.
Add lettuce, crema, cojita cheese,
Radishes, Avocado, Limes.
and Roasted Salsa Verde. You'll want to make this the a few hours before you will serve it. Because you not only want the salsa to cool to room temperature, but it gives all those roasted juices a chance to marinate with each other. Trust me. It does NOT taste the same from the time you blend it up from a few hours later.
Sopes with Roasted Salsa Verde
- 1 package of uncooked Sopes
- 1 lb of your favorite meat
- Vegetable oil
- Your favorite toppings such as
- refried beans
- cojita cheese
Roasted Salsa Verde
- ½ lb tomatillos about 10
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1-2 jalapeños
- ¼ cup onion
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- juice of 1-2 limes
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- pour oil so it is about an inch thick in frying pan.Fry each sopes in oil on each side till it is a nice golden brown. Top immediately with your favorite meat and toppings.
Roasted Salsa Verde
- shed and wash tomatillos.
- Broil tomatillos, jalapeno, onion and garlic until blackened. Flip and do other side.
- Let cool.
- Scrape out seeds to Jalepeno if desired, and take off skin of garlic.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Allow salsa to cool completely and rest for a few hours. stirring occasionally. You may need to add more salt after salsa is cooled.
@RalphsGrocery provided me with a gift card in exchange for a mention, but all opinions expressed here are my own. #lovemyralphs