The secret to the best, quick and east refried beans is right here! They don’t have to be from scratch to be THIS good. Take your favorite canned refried beans and doctor them up with this recipe.
EASY REFRIED BEANS THE FAST WAY
98% of the time I don’t have time to soak beans from scratch. I have time to basically open up a can and doctor the beans up. They taste seriously delish, as if they were from scratch. I’ve been working this recipe for over a year and the trick to refried beans is deep flavor that is simple and not too strong. Here is how to do that.
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY REFRIED BEANS
- CANNED REFRIED BEANS
- GARLIC SALT
- ONION SALT
- FRESH GROUND PEPPER!!
- VEGETABLE BROTH
WHY IS VEGETABLE BROTH IMPORTANT?
Have you ever had to sip warm broth, specifically store bought? Vegetable broth is so much more flavorful than chicken or beef. While they all have their own great flavors chicken and beef are a lot more mild. Vegetable broth hits it home in refried beans and their simple flavors. PROMISE me you will only use vegetable broth here. Got it?
HOW TO MAKE REFRIED BEANS?
- Start by emptying a can (or 2) of beans into a pan on medium heat.
- Heat the beans until they start to soften.
- Once they are warm and softening is when you will add your broth. If you add the broth while the beans are cold your beans may turn out too runny.
ADD IN THE SPICES
Once you have your beans at a texture you approve of you will want to stir in your spices
- onion salt
- garlic salt
- fresh ground pepper
IS FRESH GROUND PEPPER REALLY IMPORTANT
Surprisingly yes. One of my favorite restaurants makes their beans with fresh ground pepper and it really makes or breaks this dish. It does not make it spicy but rather accentuates all the delicious flavors going on in there.
LET YOUR BEANS SIMMER
If you are in a huge rush you can dish them right out of the pan from here, but I prefer to let them simmer for 5-15 minutes on low. It helps the garlic and onion flavors marry with the beans.
HOW DO I SERVE REFRIED BEANS?
There are soooo many ways to eat refried beans.
- a dip! just as is. OR top with cheese, melt and scoop with your favorite tortilla chips
- a stuffing. Stuff in your tacos, burritos,
- a topping. Top on nachos, tostados or navajo tacos
- 7 layer dip– this one is amazing
HOW DO I SERVE WTH A MELTED CHEESE?
Shred your favorite cheese- cheddar, mozzarella etc.
- top on the beans in the pan and cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes right after you finish cooking.
- if you pan is oven proof top with cheese and broiler 2-3 minutes in your oven. If your pan is not oven proof just transfer to an oven proof baking dish.
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE FROM CANNED PINTO BEANS OR DRY PINTO BEANS?
YES! If you like mash the beans yourself start by draining your pinto beans and then heating them in a pan. Using a potato masher mash your beans to the consistency you like. Then add veg broth and spices as instructed.
IS THIS RECIPE GLUTEN FREE?
YES! double check your canned ingredients but most are gluten free. Broth and these spices are all gluten free also. Serve with corn tortilla chips and its perfect for your celiac and gluten intolerant friends and family.
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER REFRIED BEANS?
Keep leftover beans in the fridge in an air tight container. When you reheat the beans you can do so in the microwave or stovetop. If they need a little thinning out just add a few tbs of vegetable broth.
DONT BE SHY
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to.
Easy Refried Beans
- Add Beans to a medium to large pan. Heat beans till they are warm and soft. Gradually stir in about 3/4 cups vegetable broth. If you like your beans a little more thin add more.
- Stir in your spices and let simmer for 5-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately