You heard of those everything-but-the-kitchen-sink whatevers with such-and-such? Yeah that’s what this vegetable soup is. Healthy, easy, cleans out your fridge and stops food waste. High five, friends!
I make this soup a lot during the winter months, especially between those indulgent holiday meals. Sometimes I do chicken, sausage, I throw whatever produce is going bad in there, vary the spices, it’s really so forgiving! You can crock pot it all day or simmer it on the stove for about 30 minutes.
Farro is a wheat grain with pretty similar nutritional value to quinoa (it’s got protein and fiber!). Farro is a little bit chewier, and I think holds its form better. The lentils also add protein and fiber, totally making up for the lack of any chicken.
Give me carbs, though. Allllll of the carbs.
Crusty herb bread recipe coming tomorrow….
Healthy, easy, cleans out your fridge and stops food waste. High five, friends!
- 1 c farro uncooked
- 1 c red lentils uncooked
- 6-8 c broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 sweet potato chopped
- 2 c butternut squash chopped
- 1 15 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 c carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- several stalks of kale chopped
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Or simmer on medium heat on stove in large stock pot 30 minutes.
- Season to taste. Serve with crusty bread and garnish with freshly-grated parmesan