I love soup. Like really love soup. My husband doesn’t have the same attitude…there are very few soups that he likes. But with this potato soup? He gobbled it right up! The chunky potato and ham make this soup really hearty and filling – and it doesn’t leave you wanting a meal after you finish your bowl.
Best Potato Soup You’ve Ever Had
I got this recipe from my friend Trisha. One year she gave these cute cute soup bowls to all of us girls for Christmas along with her favorite soup recipes. Included in those recipes was this potato and ham soup. The recipe card was titled “The Best Potato Soup You’ve Ever Had.” Certainly worth a try right? I am happy to say that this soup does live up to its title…even the hubs loved it! It has that homey, cozy feeling – like homemade Mac and cheese does.
This soup is hearty, warm, creamy…and perfect for these cooler months. You won’t spend hours in the kitchen with this one either – which is always a plus in my book!
So my question is this – are you a soup eater? What’s your favorite kind? Or do you prefer to pass on a big bowl of soup and go from something that requires a fork and knife?
The best potato soup you've ever had.
- 4-5 Large Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 5 celery stalks chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ham diced
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 oz whipping cream
- 8 oz sour cream
- onion powder
- parsley flakes optional
- Combine potatoes, green onions, celery, and ham in a large saucepan. Cover with just enough water to cover. Cook on the stove top on high until potatoes and celery are fork tender.
In a small saucepan melt butter, add flour and whisk together until combined. Stir in milk and whisk until thickened.
- Stir in whipping cream and sour cream.
- Add white sauce to potato, veggie, and water mixture. Stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, onion powder, and parsely.