I hope you have been enjoying our partnership with Ralphs grocery store and their Taste of Spain campaign! It's always such an honor for us to be working with such great companies. Our previous featured recipes, Patatas Brava and Spanish Tapas were delicious and so much fun to make! Today we are sharing a Spanish classic - Paella with chicken and chorizo. A rich and hearty comfort meal that is frequently served through out Spain.
How do I know this? Well my husband, Brandon actually lived in Spain for 2 years. He learned the language, culture, enjoyed exploring new foods and loved the people. He has been educating Des and me on traditional Spanish cuisine and meals that every day families would be eating. Which is exactly what we wanted to bring to you- food that the families of Spain sit down to eat.
Brandon said one of the most common meals he eat was paella. Fixed in a variety of ways but it typically consisted of chorizo, seafood, maybe chicken, rice, peas and bell peppers. Of course every family or restaurant had their own variation, but just like you might get a burger from the States- we generally know the basics.
It is commonly topped with lemon and parsley. Personally.. I loved the lemon. Really brightened up the smokey flavor from the chorizo, but then again I just plain love lemon! Chorizo is a Spanish sausage. It has a different flavor then the sausages we in the states are used to. You can buy it precooked or uncooked. I prefer the precooked.. easier to handle if you want it sliced. Brandon also said that at festivals or parties they would have huge pans (almost like a wok) and make massive amounts of paella. So much fun! Some day he is going to take me back and we can dine on the paelle, tortillas de patatas, and fine chocolate pastries (my husbands favorite).
For now I can keep cooking up a little taste of Spain in my own kitchen. Thanks to the help of Ralph's I can easily find the ingredients and whip something up. Meanwhile my husband will reminisce about the castles and wish I was a pastry chef!
Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 chorizo sausages
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads crushed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup frozen peas
- lemon wedges
- flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Mince onion and garlic and begin sautéing in a large skillet.
- In a separate pan heat chicken broth to a simmer.
- Prepare chorizo by either slicing or removing casing and crumbling into skillet.
- Cut chicken in to bite sized pieces. Add chorizo and chicken to skillet and sauté.
- When meat is cooked throughly, add bell pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in rice and stir frequently for 2-3 minutes to allow rice to toast slightly.
- Add in about 5 cups of hot chicken broth and stir.
- Add in saffron, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer on a medium heat, stirring often. Add in additional chicken broth if needed.
- Arborio rice will slowly absorb the liquid.
- During last 5 mintues of cooking stir in frozen peas.
- Squeeze lemon over and toss with fresh parsley.
- Turn cooker on any mode to heat inner pot with lid off. Heat 1 t oil, add vegetables (except peas) to brown for a few minutes.
- Add chicken and chorizo, brown for a few minutes.
- Add seasonings and arborio rice, toast for a few minutes.
- Add broth minus ½ c of original recipe, cover with lid, lock into place.
- Cook on rice setting 6 minutes. Quick release pressure, gently fluff and add peas. Place lid back on and let rest and peas warm.
- Garnish with lemon juice and parsley.
@RalphsGrocery provided me with compensation in exchange for a mention, but all opinions expressed and recipes here are my own. #lovemyralphs #tasteofspain
Ralph’s Website, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest
Erin V says
never been to spain BUT i feel like this might take me there!