Summer is the best! We love all the fresh veggies. My mom is the queen of gardening in our family. Living far away I cannot tell you how much I miss her garden tomatoes and cucumbers. Her massive zucchini and squash plants and giant pumpkins. She always has so many veggies we start turning them in to cakes and breads. She blends them up and freezes them so we can have that freshness in moments notice. When ever we get the hankering for zucchini bread or THIS chocolate zucchini cake!
If you are growing a garden that contains a zucchini plant you probably have zucchini coming out of your ears right now! I was just visiting my mom and she has so many growing and growing so dang fast! If we forget to check the garden for a day or two and pick the veggies then they end up mammoth size!
When they’re this large they aren’t exactly the best for steaming up and eating fresh. They still have all kinds of uses so don’t throw them away. Our favorite is to blend or grate them and use them in breads and cakes. After making half a dozen zucchini bread loaves we pulled out the book of my grandmothers and great-grandmothers recipes and found this chocolate zucchini cake!
Zucchini adds so much moisture! This chocolate zucchini cake doesn’t have any oil but has the best texture. We made ours in a bundt cake pan as old as I can remember. Sprayed it really good with PAM or a cooking spray so it won’t stick.
Whip up the glaze and glaze her all up and down!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp orange peel
- 2 cup zucchini
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 2 cup powder sugar
- 3 Tbs milk
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 3 oz cream cheese (optional)
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon- set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until smooth, add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg.
- Blend zucchini till smooth- one med/large zucchini should make 2 cups
- Stir in milk, vanilla, orange and zucchini.
- Add dry ingredients and mix into mixture adding nuts slowly.
- Pour batter into greased bunt pan. Bake 350 for 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes and add glaze
- Beat until smooth