I love this Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe because it’s easy, filling and has a wonderful gourmet feeling to it. Perfect for a family dinner or double it for guests. It seems to hit the spot any day of the week with its salty sweet ham, tender juicy chicken and gooey cheese. ahhh.
And let me show you just how simple this chicken recipe is… Set out the chicken to thaw, when thawed you butterfly the chicken breasts (so 1 breast = 2 chicken cordon bleu roll-ups) It takes about 10-15 minutes to roll up the chicken and let the oven do the rest!
Post-Oven: baked and amazing ready to rock your socks.
Now, the cheese sauce- or as my kids called it- Cheese Gravy- is what makes this dish king. It is the best. We SMOTHER our chicken and rice in this gooey, creamy cheesy gravy.
I use the remaining swiss cheese from the packet of slices + other ingredients. I would recommend not making the sauce until right before you are ready to eat. It whips up really fast!
- 4 thawed chicken breast
- 8 pieces of Deli ham *I prefer honey ham
- 8 slices of swiss cheese.
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 T butter
- 1 tsp instant chicken bullion
- 1/4 cup shredded swiss cheese (I typically use the rest of the sliced swiss, just tear it up.)
- 2 T parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 T flour
- dash of pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- Take chicken breasts and slice in half long-ways (so it makes 2 long skinny flat chicken breast....looks like a butterfly)
- lay cheese and ham onto filleted chicken
- Roll and toothpick
- Dip in melted butter
- Roll in bread crumbs
- place in 9x13 pan
- 6.Bake at 350 for 40-50 min
- Melt butter on med heat, stir in flour. Let mixture bubble for a minute.
- Add bullion, and milk.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour over chicken.