This is one of our family's favorites. I started making it a while ago because 1. I was out of groceries, but had a few veggies. 2. we were out of money till pay day and 3. I was out of time. SO if you have even one of these problems...well, even if you don't. You need to make this sausage + veggie sheet pan meal. It is packed with flavor, veggies and whole foods. Everyone from kids to picky adults will love it.
1.You can fill your pan up with any vegetable or root vegetable really. Substitute red potatoes for sweet potatoes, kielbasa for your favorite chicken sausage.
2. You will want to chop your veggies up in different sizes depending on which ones you choose and how long they take to cook. Potatoes and carrots take longer to cook than zucchini, squash, mushrooms and onions. Slice the softer veggies in larger chunks. Slice the firm veggies in small pieces or thin slices.
3. The veggies don't need much more spices and salt because sausage is full of herbs, spices and pleeeenty of salt. When they're placed on top of the veggies it spreads that goodness all over. Toss in olive oil and lightly salt with your favorite seasoning salts.
Toss in some olive or avocado oil and your favorite seasoning salt. I really like to toss the potatoes in a little creole seasoning. It has a bit of a kick, which really takes those bland potatoes up a notch. Then I lightly toss the remaining veggies in my favorite seasoning salt.
I like to line my pan with parchment paper. Slice up your sausage so that as it bakes the flavors and juices can seep into the veggies. Spread them all out on a sheet pan and bake! Serve hot from the oven!
On another note, we recently have been using these Enameled sheet pans by Canyon Crow Home and love them! See all the baked, caramelized oils on the sides of the pans, outside of the parchment paper? It came right off! The usual aluminum pans take sooo much elbow grease. I've used these bad boys several times and they still look brand new....even after some seriously over-baked brownies were scraped off.
Sausage and Veggie Sheet Pan Meal
- 6-8 red potatoes cut into bite-size pieces (this all depends on the size of your potatoes. I use enough to fill my pan about ⅓ of the way up.
- 2 zucchini/yellow squash
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 large carrots
- 1 package kielbasa or your favorite sausage
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- seasoning salt
- Creole seasoning salt
- Chop all veggies. The veggies (like potatoes and carrots) that take longer to cook, cut into smaller bite-size pieces than the veggies that cook faster.
- If desired, separate potatoes and toss in creole seasoning and oil.
- Toss veggies with olive oil and seasoning salt, then and add to pan.
- Section up sausage or kielbasa and place on top of veggies.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, stir veggies and flip sausage and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are for tender.