Chop and cook your veggies. Really, you can use whatever you have on hand or whatever sounds good.
After you prepare your basil cream sauce, the last step is frying the gnocchi. It only takes a few minutes, and you're left with little pillows of fluffy potato with a crisp, salty exterior. I just want fried gnocchi for all of the food. Give it all to me.
But I guess some yummy veggies and creamy parmesan basil sauce will be fine too...
Fried Gnocchi and Creamy Vegetable Bowls
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 zucchini chopped
- ½ onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
Basil Cream Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 c half-and-half
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- 1 c freshly-shredded parmesan cheese divided
- handful fresh basil chiffonade
- 1 pkg gnocchi
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- kosher salt
- Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add all vegetables and cook about 8 minutes, or until al dente. Set aside on plate.
- In same pan, melt butter and whisk in flour to create a paste. Cook for a couple of minutes. Slowly add half-and-half, whisking and simmering on low heat until sauce coats back of spoon. Add half of the parmesan cheese and stir until it has melted in. Season with salt and add basil. Set aside.
- In second frying pan, melt butter and canola oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add half package of gnocchi to pan and fry over medium heat. After 1-2 minutes, turn gnocchi over with tongs to lightly brown all sides. Remove from pan and let drain on paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with other half of package.
- Layer sautéed vegetables over fried gnocchi, then top with basil cream sauce. Garnish with remaining parmesan, freshly-cracked pepper, and more fresh basil.