If you're looking for the ultimate cookie this year THESE Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are 100% it. Soft, but crispy chocolate cookie sandwiched with a peppermint buttercream frosting. I'm telling you I can never make enough of these little guys, They're gone faster than a bag of Oreos, or Trader Joes Holiday Joe Joes. Maybe you should just go a head and double this recipe while you're at it.
if you're searching for the recipe Holiday Ho's Ho's this is it!! It's title has been changed for SEO purposes
What are chocolate peppermint cookies?
These chocolate peppermint cookies are like a sandwich cookie.
- slightly soft and chewy while also
- slight crispy chocolate cookies
- homemade peppermint buttercream frosting.
- You can choose to top them with a chocolate drizzle and roll them in some crushed candy canes.
I don't like peppermint, do I have to use it?
no! If you want, omit the peppermint from the frosting and you will have a delightful delicious chocolate vanilla cream cookie. In fact I often will leave it out of the frosting (for kids) and just put some candy cane on top. That seems to be the perfect amount for developing palettes like children.
What ingredients do I need for chocolate peppermint cookies?
For the cookie batter you will need:
- peppermint extract. not spearmint or mint.
- cocoa powder
- melted semi-sweet chocolate chips
How do I make the chocolate cookie dough?
- Start by creaming your butter and sugar together. From there I like to add in my ingredients alternating the dry and the wet.
- 1baking soda and salt
- mix in only half of the flour
- Egg, vanilla
- add in remainder of flour
- semi sweet chocolate chips and finally cocoa powder.
* Do not over mix your batter. Mix just until everything is combined and stop. Scrape down the sides and using a spatula incorporate any ingredients that need to be stired in. This batter is a little more dry and a different texture than your typical cookie batter.
How do I melt semi-sweet chocolate chips?
Place your 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Melt for 30 second increments, stirring after each increment. My chocolate chips took about a minute and 15 seconds. Yours might take longer or less time than mine depending on your microwave.
DO NOT OVER COOK YOU CHOCOLATE. If you put the chips in for too long or do not stir them they will get ruined and you will need to start over. Cook them just until they are melted nice and smooth.
Roll your cookie dough
Now that your batter is mixed divide it into two and roll into two logs using parchment paper.
Put in your fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
Then slice into ¼ inch slices and place on baking sheet
Bake your cookies and let rest.
Bake your cookies for about 8-10 minutes. You want the edges set. You do not want them turning a different color. Pull them out of the oven and let rest on the cookie sheet for another minute before transferring to a cookie rack. When they are really hot they can crumble easily but once they are cooled they dont.
Ingredients for peppermint frosting
For the peppermint frosting you will need
- 1 stick room temp butter
- 3 cups powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes
- 1-2 tbs milk
*if not using peppermint and candy canes sub with 1 teaspoon vanilla
How to make peppermint frosting
In a large bowl beat your butter, slowly add in your powder sugar, extract and 1 tbs milk. Then add candy canes. Beat fora few minutes until nice a fluffy.
How to add frosting to the cookies
STEP 1: I like to match my cookies first into pairs. Find cookies that are about the same size and shape.
STEP 2: flip bottom cookie over.
STEP 3: add frosting
My preferred method is to add the frosting to a plastic bag and frosting tip to pipe it on to the cookies (it goes very fast this way), but you can use a butter knife or frosting spatula to add the frosting individually to each cookie set.
ADD TOP COOKIE
How to garnish your peppermint cookies.
There are a few ways you can garnish your cookies
- roll the sides, where the frosting seeps out, in crushed peppermint
- drizzle with melting chocolate.
- top with more crushed candy canes
*melting chocolate like almond bark is a special chocolate that will harden and set. It won't remain sticky and messy. You can find it in most baking isles.
Can I make these ahead?
They are best fresh but Yes! this cookies can be made ahead of time. Place them in an air tight container and in the fridge. Let come to room temp before serving.
You can also make the cookies and frosting and do not combine them until right before serving.
How do you store leftovers?
If you have any cookies left over just store them in an air tight container. They will keep for a day or two, longer if placed in the fridge.
Looking for other great holiday cookies?
- SUGAR COOKIE CUT OUTS
- BEACON HILL COOKIES
- BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- RASPBERRY THUMBPRINT COOKIES
KEEP IN TOUCH!
If you tried these Chocolate Peppermint Cookies or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tso salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup melted chocoalte chips
- ½ cup room temp butter
- 3 cup powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes
- In a large bowl cream your butter and sugar together. Stir in your salt, baking soda, half the flour, egg, melted chocolate chips, vanilla the remainder flour, and then your cocoa .powder.
- To melt your chocolate chips- place in a microwave safe bowl and melt for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. It will take about a minute to a minute thirty seconds.
- Take half your cookie batter and roll it in a parchment paper to about ¼ inch thick. Roll the other half and place both in fridge for 1 hour.
- After chilling slice into ¼ inch slices and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Just until the edges are set. Remove from oven and keep them on the cookie sheet for about 1-2 minutes before putting them on to cooling rack.
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
- In a bowl beat your room temp butter. Add in 1 cup powder sugar, then peppermint extract, milk and remaining powder sugar. Beat for about 5 minutes. Then stir in your crushed candy canes.
Making your cookies
- Match your cookie up into pairs of about the same size. Turn one upside down and pipe frosting onto the cookie then place the top on. You can roll in more crushed candy canes.
- If desired melt some chocolate almond bark or melting chocolate on top. Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.