My grandma would make this beef stroganoff often with leftover beef roast from her traditional Sunday roast and potatoes dinner. So if you have leftover steak this meal would be perfect for that! However if you are making from scratch, and fresh beef you can make it on the stove-top or in a pressure cooker!
Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Why would you want to use your pressure cooker for beef stroganoff? Well, beef is tricky- its hard to know the best cut when buying. It’s hard to make perfect tender beef on the stovetop (especially if the cut of beef was not so great) So to cut out all those variables and make the most perfect finished beef bites- take it to the pressure cooker. This is the one I currently own, 6-n-1 Instapot.
Where you are buying your beef choose a nice thick steak, or roast. Cut it into thick bite size pieces.
You’ll flour the beef (to create a thickening agent) and sear (to seal in all the juices and create a nice crust). Then you’ll cook it for only 15 minutes! I always let my pressure cooker natural release when cooking meat to ensure tender juicy results.
The SECRET INGREDIENT
One last tip that you cannot skimp on. The secret ingredient to make this beef stroganoff legit is to add the red wine vinegar. This is what makes this dish AMAZING. If you forget to grab some at the store you can sub it with apple cider or white wine. The vinegar adds a whole different dimension to the sauce.
Grandma's Beef Stroganoff will make for a happy home!
- 2-3 lbs beef cut into thick bite size pieces
- 1 small onion diced
- avocado oil or fav cooking oil
- 1 can beef consume
- 1 cup or can beef broth
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 3 TBS flour
- 3 TBS cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt for taste
- Toss steak bites in 1/2 cup flour and let sit for a few minutes
- Chop onions.
- In hot pan, on on saute setting on pressure cooker add 1/4 cup oil.
- Heat up a couple of TBS of EVOO.
- Salt and brown the onions and beef. Just till the onions are translucent, and beef has a nice brown crust. Beef doesn't need to be cooked through.
- Add Beef Consume, broth, and red wine vinegar. Let simmer for 15 -20 min on stove top. If in pressure cooker set on high 15 min. Allow pressure cooker natural release.
- In small bowl mix cold water and flour together.
- Bring meat to a boil and slowly add flour paste to thicken.
- Right before serving add sour cream. Stir.
- Serve over egg noodles.