I just love a good creamy risotto. ‘Risotto’ is style of cooking rice so that it is more creamy. The creamy happens because the rice is cooked in some type of broth and it releases starches making the entire dish thicken and become creamy. Long grain rice doesn’t work so well for this. Short grained rice, particularly Arborio rice is the best. The shorter the grain the more starch. If you wanted to make a simple pot of arborio rice, you simmer some rice in veggie or meat broth and stir and stir, adding more broth when the liquid is almost absorbed until rice is tender! Do it with a wooden spoon. The texture of the wood helps to rub the rice and release more starch, making it creamy and delicious. That simple creamy rice is comfort food at it’s finest.
Pop it in the oven at 350 covered. After 30 minutes, stir in 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese. Bake another 20 minutes. Uncover top with remaining cheese and bake another 10 minutes uncovered. If you want a skinny version, half the cheese or simple get rid of it. The cheese is not necessary but is of course delicious. Fresh mozzerella is even more fantastic. Isn’t that always the way cheese is?! If something is lacking.. sprinkle a lil cheese and bam. Perfect.
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 (28 oz) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14 oz) chicken broth (*sub vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 1 can (4 oz) mushroom slices
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut zucchini length wise in half then in slices.
- Combine with spaghetti sauce, broth, mushrooms and rice in a sprayed 3 qrt. dish.
- Bake covered for 30 mins at 350 degs.
- Remove from oven and stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover and bake for another 30 mins.
- Remove from oven, top with cheese and place back in oven for 5-10 mins to melt cheese and until rice is tender.