ok, YES! Happy Cinco de Mayo!! but we blasted you with all our current Cinco recipes last week, that today, instead of more mexican inspired dishes, we give you TOTAL American. Hows that, eh? eh? REALLY what happened is that our post with a fellow blogger fell through- stinking technology. But, sometime soon you'll see it.
(if you need a list of cinco de mayo recipe ideas, scroll to the bottom and click on the link)
ok, go ahead and take a break from your diet and sit down and eat a little bacon and potato... actually... Lets show a little respect to potatoes. Did you know potatoes are pretty much fat free? A medium potato only has about 110 calories, is high in vitamin C and packs more potassium than a banana. They are suuuuper filling...its just what you choose to put on your potato (or , ahem, wrap around them.) that makes them fattening.Plus, they are also gluten free, so for any of your friends who do not eat gluten this makes a great appetizer. or side. or snack. They are so easy to make.
Soften your potatoes by boiling them for 3-5 minutes. Wrap with a bit of bacon and toothpick. Dip in brown sugar and bake until nice and crispy.
Serve with a (spicy?) cheese sauce to compliment the sweet bacon flavor.
Bacon Wrapped Potatoes
Bacon Potato Bites
- 1 pound potatoes quartered
- 1 pound regular-cut bacon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Korr's veggie or chicken bullion
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese don't budge on this one
- 1 cup mild cheddar or a try pepper Jack Cheese for a little kick!
Bacon Potato Bites
- In a med sauce pan add hot water, salt and potatoes. Bring to a boil and boil for about 3-5 minutes. You don't want them fork tender, because they will still bake. but they do need to be soft.
- Let potatoes cool a bit.
- Cut strips of bacon into thirds and wrap around each potato bite
- Stick with toothpick to hold bacon in place
- Roll in brown sugar
- Place on baking sheet and bake in oven for 30 minutes, flipping half way. Till bacon is crispy.
- In a med sauce pan, on med-low heat melt butter and whisk in flour.
- allow flour to bubble for a minute, add in bullion.
- Slowly pour in milk, while quickly whisking.
- let sauce thicken, and add cheese.
- Stir sauce until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Click here for Cinco Recipes