Crispy tart apples, buttery gooey caramel and crunchy chocolate candy bits.
Servings: 12 apples
- Candy Thermometer
- Wax or Parchment paper
- 14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Butter
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cup White Karo Syrup
- washed and dried crispy apples (12 small or 8 large)
- favorite candy crushed- optional
- cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and in fridge ready for apples
Prepare apples (wash, dry and sticks pushed in). Crush candy before hand. Get a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and placed in the fridge.
Combine sugar, milk, butter, salt syrup in heavy pan.
Cook on medium heat and stir constantly. (CONSTANTLY) until it reaches 245-248 degrees.
Remove from stove-top.
Take apples and slowly dip apples in caramel in circular motion. Allow extra caramel to drip off. Dip into candies and place in fridge for a quick cool down.
Make sure you stir caramel with either a wooden spoon or a spatula that can stand high temps (silicone).
Try not to splash on the sides because when you are stirring. DON'T SCRAPE the sides back into the caramel. Scrape only the bottom of the pan. If you bring the sugar crystals from the sides of the pan back into your candy it will 'sugar' and become crunchy and hardened in areas instead of smooth when it is all done.
Put your candy thermometer into the candy after it has boiled for a bit and started to change colors don't drag it around because scraping the metal to metal together can also sugar your candy. ALSO once you put the thermometer in you have to keep it in until it is done, don't take it out and put it back in unless you clean it.
- As an added measure double check your caramels by using the ice water method. Drop a bit of caramel in ice water, dump water out and test the texture of your caramel. If it doesn't form a soft ball the caramel needs to cook longer. If it is firm remove immediately from heat. If it is rock hard it is overcooked for the soft caramel method.
Keep the heat on a medium heat and if you start seeing little brown specks in your candy take it off the heat immediately and turn it down. That is the candy scorching. Otherwise cook until the candy has reached desired temperature or texture.
Dip caramel apples in candy immediately after bring out of warm caramel.
Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 258mg | Potassium: 4mg | Sugar: 66g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Calcium: 10mg