What Is A Spinach Ball?
What Do I Need To Make This Spinach Balls Recipe
- Italian bread crumbs
- grated parmesan cheese
- melted butter
- spinach (fresh or frozen)
- salt and pepper
How Do I Make This Spinach Balls Recipe?
- If using fresh spinach, place it in a large bowl and pour 3 cups boiling water over top.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile add breadcrumbs to a large mixing bowl.
- Add grated parmesan cheese.
- Pour in eggs.
- Add melted butter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze liquid from spinach.
- Add wilted spinach to mixing bowl. With clean hands, mix all ingredient until well combined.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden.
Pro Tip – My favorite way to form these spinach balls, or meatballs for that matter, is to use a cookie scoop. It is the perfect size and they create uniform balls. Of course you can just eyeball it, and roll one and a half inch balls from the dough, but if you don’t have a cookie scoop you need to invest! I love using it for cookies of course, and lots of other recipes.
What About The Dipping Sauce?
- white vinegar
- white sugar
- 1 egg
- ground mustard
How Do I Make This Dipping Sauce?
- In a medium saucepan, add ground mustard.
- Add white sugar.
- Add beaten egg.
- Pour in white vinegar.
- Stir continuously over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve alongside spinach balls.
The Perfect Finger Food
Can Spinach Balls Be Frozen?
Absolutely! Premake them and freeze before baking. When needed, transfer to a cookie sheet and bake! This is a perfect make-ahead recipe!
Should I Use Fresh or Frozen Spinach?
You can actually use both. If you are using frozen, thaw and squeeze excess liquid out. If you are using fresh – follow the steps in the recipe card for melting. I’ve used both and both are delicious.
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK!
Even if you are a little apprehensive about this recipe – I hope you’ll try it. I promise you’ll be pleasantly surprised just like I was! After you make them, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
A tasty, easy appetizer!
- 20 oz packages of frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained or 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup ground mustard found on the spice aisle
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
If using fresh spinach, place it in a large bowl and pour 3 cups boiling water over top. If using frozen spinach, thaw and squeeze out excess liquid.
Let stand for 5 minutes.Meanwhile add breadcrumbs to a large mixing bowl.
Add grated parmesan cheese.
Pour in eggs.
Add melted butter.
Season with salt and pepper.
Squeeze liquid from spinach.
Add wilted spinach to mixing bowl. With clean hands, mix all ingredient until well combined.
Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
Roll into 1 inch balls.Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Whisk all ingredients together and transfer to a small saucepan.
- Bring just to a boil whisking the entire time.
- Can be served warm or at room temp.