Think- hot drink, citrusy, delicious warm spices. It's not heavy like hot cocoa but it can be made in a few seconds with hot water. We make this Russian tea every year and enjoy it all though the cold winter months.
What is Russian Tea?
Russian Tea is like a spiced orange cider. It's a combination of a few drink mixes, spices and when you are ready to drink it just mix with hot water. You can dress it up with dried oranges, cinnamon sticks, cranberries and star anise.
What do I need to make Russian tea recipe?
- tang- its a powdered orange drink mix. You can grab it in the isle where you find crystal light, koolaid. Or you can also buy it at Costco. It's a very inexpensive drink mix.
- lemonade drink mix
- spices and sugar. basic spices you probably all have in your pantry.
How to make Russian Tea drink mix.
In a large jar, or bowl add your tang, lemonade. sugar and spices. Mix it up so everything is evenly distributed.
How do I store?
Shake them up, stir them up and store in an airtight container. It can stay like that for months!
Concerned about sugar?
If you are concerned about sugar in these drinks there are two things you can consider-
- There are sugar free options! you can buy sugar free lemonade, sugar free tang and you can choose to use organic sugar/cane sugar or another sugar alternative like stevia.
- Really, you are only putting a teaspoon of drink in a cup of water, so although it may seem like a lot of sugar is going into the bowl, you're right. there is! but its for a mix and will be only used by the teaspoon ;) you wont be dumping the whole batch into a cup.
How to mix the powder with water
You can make this both as a large batch or in a mug.
In your mug add 2 tablespoons then add in hot water. Stir to combine. Enjoy.
Friends and Neighbor Gift
This makes a great gift for casual friends and neighbors. Pair it with a frother or cute mug. I make a big batch and then separate it into smaller jars with instructions.
It makes the perfect gift for friends because it is
- dairy free
- gluten free!
Their families will love it!
yes, you can save it in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat when ready to drink again. However, after you have reheated it for the second time do not save that batch.
YES! my kids and kids friends prefer this drink over apple cider or cranberry cider. Even some prefer it over hot cocoa! It is the perfect blend of a little spice and sweetness.
LET’S BE BFFS
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
- 2 cups powdered tang
- 1 cup powdered lemonade
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon heaping cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix together and store in an airtight container.
- Mix 2 Tablespoons dry mix with a mug of hot water.
- Add 2 cups dry mix to 1 gallon of HOT water.
- 1 mix usually lasts us all winter.