One foggy Christmas party my Aunt served me a hot tasty drink that totally took me by surprise. I don't know what I was expecting but THIS was awesome. We were at a family party, all sitting around enjoying each other's company drinking "Russian Tea." That was what she had for its name. I have altered the name to spiced orange cider. It's a title that more accurately describes this drink- warm and cozy.
How to make spiced orange cider
It's really the simplest thing in the world. Who doesn't want that. You make one big batch of it and put it in an air tight container. Then every morning heat up some water and scoop it in just like you would hot chocolate.
You combine tang, lemonade, sugar and spices. Shake them up, stir them up and store in an airtight container. It can stay like that for months!
Concerned about sugar?
If you are concerned about sugar in these drinks there are two things you can consider-
- There are sugar free options! you can buy sugar free lemonade, tang and you can choose to use organic sugar/cane sugar or another sugar alternative like stevia.
- Really, you are only putting a teaspoon of drink in a cup of water, so although it may seem like a lot of sugar is going into the bowl, you're right. there is! but its for a mix and will be only used by the teaspoon ;) you wont be dumping the whole batch into a cup.
I love to keep a hot teapot on the stove in the mornings. My kids use it for tea, hot apple cider or this spiced cider drink. This teapot is my very favorite by staub. It's make of cast iron. Its strong and sturdy and keeps your water hot for a long time.
Friends and Neighbor Gift
Every year I take around gifts to neighbors, friends and people who have served me and my family in everything that has gone on in my crazy life throughout the year. I like to do things that are on the less expensive side so I can spread the goodies as possible. Giving homemade drink mixes is one of those ways! This spiced orange cider wraps up so cute and perfectly in a mason jar. Tie little note with instructions on how to drink it and give it to your friends. Their families will love it!
Spiced Orange Cider AKA Russian Tea
- 2 cups powdered tang
- 1 cup powdered lemonade
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon heaping cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix together and store in an airtight container.
- Mix 2 Tablespoons dry mix with a mug of hot water.
- Add 2 cups dry mix to 1 gallon of HOT water.