The best homemade tomatillo salsa verde! Made with roasted tomatillos, fresh limes, onion and cilantro this tangy delicious recipe is made quickly and will enhance any tacos or great for dipping.
Why Tomatillo Salsa Verde is the best
Broiled, then blended tomatillo salsa has delicious tangy flavors mixed with onion, garlic and some lime juice to create the best salsa for topping on tacos, mixing in burritos or just plain dipping.
What Is Salsa Verde
Salsa verde translated means green sauce. It is a type of spicy, green salsa in Mexican Cuisine based with tomatillos, green peppers and onion.
About Tomatillo salsa ingredients
- tomatillos- you will need about 8-12 medium tomatillo. You can find these in the fresh grocery isle in their husks.
- jalapeno- one large jalapeño. Note- small jalapeños are spicier than large ones. So if you prefer a spicy salsa choose two small ones and keep the seeds.
- garlic- one large clove of fresh garlic. Not the jarred.
- onion- you will need about half of one onion. Your choosing.
- limes- Fresh! over store bought juice.
Remove husks from your tomatillos
The first step to starting your salsa is to remove the husks from your tomatillos.
- rip or tear the husk back
- twist at step and remove the whole stem
- Rinse off the sticky residue
How to make tomatillo salsa verde
Step one: Place your tomatillos, jalapeno and garlic clove on a foil lined baking tray.
Step two: Drizzle lightly with olive oil
Step three: Broil on one side for 4-6 minutes. Until you start to see dark spot.
Step four: flip and broil for another 4-6 minutes
Why do I need to roast tomatillos?
Raw tomatillo have a more crisp tart flavor, when you roast the tomatillo it turns the acidic flavor into a sweet more mellow while also deepening and enriching the salsa.
How to make salsa verde
Now that you have roasted your food its time to combine them into tomatillo salsa verde.
- Add your lime, onion, roasted jalapeno pepper, tomatillos, garlic and DRIPPINGS from the oven into a blender.
- Make sure to season it with a little sea salt.
Blend until completely smooth. If you don't have a blender you can also use a food processor.
As the salsa comes to room temperature it will thicken slightly. As it rests the flavors will marry and become more enhanced.
If you don't want spicy salsa remove the seeds and the rinds from your jalapeno. If you like extra spicy salsa you can roast spicier peppers, like a Serrano pepper, along with your jalapeño for heat.
Store in an air tight container for 7-10 days in the fridge.
This recipe has zero spicy. Between roasting the jalapeno and removing the seeds you will be safe as far as spicy. See expert tips to making it spicy.
Yes! All the ingredients are gluten free! Most corn tortilla chips are also gluten free so this is an excellent dish for your gluten sensitive friends and family.
What do I serve this tomatillo salsa verde with?
Try these recipes! They are great to pair with salsa verde:
Beef Barbacoa Tacos: made in the instant pot these are easy fast tacos.
Carnitas: Try making some carnitas nachos or burritos and drenching them with this salsa and all the toppings. It will be so good!
Keep in touch!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- blender or food processor
- 8-12 medium Tomatillos
- 1 large Jalapeño
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ onion
- olive oil
- set oven to broil
- Remove husks from tomatillos and wash to remove sticky residue.
- Place tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic on cookie sheet lined with silicone baking mat or foil. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Broil for 4-6 minutes, flip and broil again for 4-6
- When done/softened and slightly charred, remove from oven allow to cool slightly.
- Place in blender with remaining ingredients.
- Remove seeds of jalapeño for less heat.
- Puree til smooth.
- Pour into container and allow to sit until at room temperature. Store in air tight container in fridge.