One of my favorite things ever is a good tangy green salsa. Whether just dipping chips, over steak tacos, or marinating chicken in it.. I love it. And it’s incredibly simple to make at home. To make this you will need some Tomatillos. Now tomatillos verde in Spanish translates to “green tomato” but they actually are not the same as a green tomato. Just to clarify. Tomatillos will come in a green husk. Before making remove husk and wash off the sticky residue.h some good tomatillos, fresh cilantro and loads of lime, it’s hard to go wrong. The only baking involved is roasting your tomatillos. Stick them in a hot oven, about 400 degrees for about 15 mins. Turing every 5 mins. Roasted until they are softened. When those are done all you have to do is add all the ingredient to your blender! I add in a jalapeño as well, if you don’t want any heat just remove the seeds. The meat of the pepper really isn’t spicy but has a great flavor you don’t want to miss.
This makes about 1.5 cups of salsa.. if you not one to dip with green salsa.. try this as a marinade. I cut up some chicken breast into strips, placed the strips with the left over salsa in a ziplock bag and let it rest for a few hours in the fridge. Later that day I grilled up the chicken and served it with some Mexi-rice. It was amazing. I love it when a recipe can multi-task.
A super easy and delicious roasted tomatillo salsa that's perfect for tacos, nachos, burritos and more!
- 6-7 medium Tomatillos
- 1 Jalapeño
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 Tbsp. Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 + tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Large handful of Cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove husks from tomatillos and wash to remove sticky residue.
- Place tomatillos on cookie sheet lined with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Roast for 15mins, turning every 5 mins.
- When done/softened and slightly charred, remove from oven allow to cool slightly.
- Place in blender with remaining ingredients.
- Remove seeds of jalapeño for less heat.
- Puree til smooth.
- Pour into container and allow to cool in fridge.
- Serve chilled.
Use as a dip, topping, or marinade for meat.