BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE is going to be your new favorite breakfast food. Fluffy cinnamon french toast with decedent cream cheese, juicy blueberries and sweet butter syrup. It's easy to make AND you can make it ahead of time.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR BAKED FRENCH TOAST
- MAPLE SYRUP
- FRENCH BREAD
- FRESH BLUEBERRIES
- CREAM CHEESE
WHAT IS THE BEST KIND OF BREAD FOR FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE?
To keep the french bread casserole fluffy and have the best texture you will want to use french bread. If french bread is not available try Brioche, French Baguette, or Challah. These breads also hold up well to the egg and milk mixture when cooked without becoming over soggy.
HOW DO I CUT THE FRENCH BREAD?
Cut french bread into 1 inch slices, then slice them again into 1 inch cubes.
HOW TO MAKE THE EGG MIXTURE
- Add your eggs and whisk them together.
- stir in your milk
- add your vanilla and maple syrup
- and mix your cinnamon in
CAN I BLEND THESE INGREDIENTS?
You can add to a blender instead of whisking them together to ensure those eggs are nice and creamy. On a low or med-low setting blend for about 20-30 seconds
HOW TO LAYER YOU BLUEBERRY BAKE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking oil
- Add about ¾ of your bread into your pan
- Evenly distribute your cream cheese over the bread.
- Evenly spread the blueberries throughout the pan too.
- Add the remaining bread on top
POUR THE CUSTARD OVER THE BREAD
- Cover the entire pan of bread cream cheese and blueberries with the custard.
SOAK OVERNIGHT METHOD
If you are making this ahead of time take your french bread casserole and cover with a plastic wrap or lid. Place in the fridge and remove the following morning and bake according to the directions.
QUICK SOAK METHOD
If you are not making this dinner the night before you can soak the french toast casserole for 30 minutes-1 hour. If you will be soaking longer than one hour place it in in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
DO I NEED TO ADD TOPPINGS TO THE BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE?
This french toast casserole is not overly sweet. So I recommend you topping it with
- buttermilk syrup
- powder sugar
FAQ'S OF FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
SHOULD MY CASSEROLE BE SOGGY?
French toast casserole is browned and crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. It is not dry and it is not soggy. If you find that your blueberry french toast casserole is soggy in the middle it needs to cook a little longer. If you feel your bread is getting over dry then add the foil covering back on.
CAN I USE FROZEN BLUEBERRIES
Yes, If you have time to defrost the blueberries it would be better than adding immediately. However, if you dont have time make sure the blueberries are not in large chunks and evenly distribute them throughout the bread. They will defrost as the custard soaks into the bread.
WHAT DO I DO WITH LEFTOVERS?
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and place in the fridge. They will be good for 7 days.
LEAVE A COMMENT
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to.
Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- 12 slices of French Bread cut in 1- inch cubes
- 8 ounces cream cheese chilled and cut in 1- inch cubes
- 1 pt. fresh blueberries rinsed and drained
- 12 large eggs
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 c. milk
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ Tablespoon vanilla
- couple of grinds of sea salt
- Grease a 9X1`3 inch baking pan
- Place half of bread cubes evenly in prepared pan.
- Scatter cream cheese cubes over bread and sprinkle on blueberries.
- Arrange remaining bread cubes over blueberries.
- In a large bowel combine eggs, syrup, milk, and cinnamon; whisk to blend. Pour evenly over bread mixture.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake covered with foil for 40 minutes. remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.*If baking at room temp (was not refridgerated) After you removethe foil you may only need to bake for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter and buttermilk. Bring to a boil and boil for minute. Cool slightly then add baking soda, vanilla, and salt.
- Serve warm