When I was told we would be giving away a sushi kit from totally bamboo I was really excited. I had vision of fruit sushi swimming around in my head. How I Was going to make it, what recipes and ingredients I was going to use, how the pictures would look. Well, lets say it all worked out how I hoped, except the pictures were a lot more fancy in my head, the always are. My imaginations of what I really want compared to what happens always gets me.
How To Make Fruit Sushi
1.You will need some fruit rolls. I love the brand Jovy you find in grocery stores by all the produce stands. I also found that the green apple worked the best! and the grape flavor gave me the most problems. Apriocot did pretty darn good.
2. Fresh fruit!! Slice the fruit into thin slivers. I found the fruit that were firmer in texture worked the best- like mango, strawberry, kiwi (cut off the seeds) bit the soft and more higher concentrated in water fruits didn't look as beautiful ALL still taste delicious.
3. Sweet Sticky Coconut Rice! This recipe is really great for the fruit sushi- and works perfect keeping everything together nice and snug!! Make sure to let cool before rolling. Working with surgery fruit rolls is different than working with seaweed. And you will need to eat the fruit sushi soon after they are rolled because the moisture from the rice/fruit causes the sugar to break down in the fruit roll.
4. Sushi Making Kit: You can use whatever you have on hand or feel comfortable using! I used a Musubi Press, but you can totally use a sushi matte too! I have included links to keep shopping easy for you if you are in need of these products!
To assemble place fruit roll flat on counter (or on mat) layer rice, then desired fruit, top with rice and tightly roll up! You need to eat these within 15 minutes of rolling because the moisture in the rice and fruit will start to break down the sugars in the fruit roll covering the sushi. But even as a deconstructed fruit sushi its soooo yummy and fresh.
- 1.5 c uncooked rice
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ c sugar
- ¼ Tablespoon salt
- 1 mango
- 1-2 Kiwi
- 1 cup strawberries
- more fruit if desired
- 5-6 Jovy Fruit Rolls
- Bring water to a boil. Once boiling, add rice and cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- In separate saucepan, slowly bring to boil coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Once boiling, remove from heat, and gently stir into cooked rice.
- Let cool before rolling into sushi rolls .
- Slice fruit thin.
- On mat, or if using a musubi press lay fruit roll on mat or counter. If using a press, cut fruit roll into rectangle (same width but see as fruit roll same length as it it) and lay on counter, place press on top, centered.
- Add layer of coconut rice on fruit roll (in press if using press)
- Add fruit
- add another layer of rice and wrap fruit roll around rice.
- *depending on the fruit roll you use be cautious of how full you fill the press. I had to fill my musubi press about ¾ full, if I filled it to the top the fruit roll would not wrap around.
- I found slicing with a serrated knife worked best!
- If you are having any problem with the fruit roll sticking together (I only did on one of my rolls) feel free to stick a toothpick through and make them into cute little hors d'oeuvres.
Erin V says
what cute little guys! easier than I thought