Not much else in the world can beat hot apple pie from scratch. Warm, spiced gooey apples with a buttery flakey crust. Comfort food at its finest.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE APPLE PIE FROM SCRATCH
- PIE CRUST
- SPICES- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
- egg white
- white and brown sugar
The ingredients are for one pie, and same with the instructions in the recipe card. But if you have mini pie plates, or mini pie liners feel free to divide the ingredients.
HOMEMADE OR STORE BOUGHT PIE CRUST
Of course we are all for a homemade pie crust. Its super easy and you likely have all the ingredient in your pantry. We have the perfect recipe here with a video. Having that flakey homemade pie crust is such a treat. If you dont have the time to make your own I like to buy the refrigerated pie crusts, often found by the butter and canned biscuits.
WHAT KIND OF APPLES DO I USE
Since there are so many delicious apple variates now you can totally choose your favorites. Make sure you pick a crunchy crispy type of apple, not a soft apple like red delicious. You can also use a variety of apples!IAll together you need about 5 med-large apples. I picked both red and green.
PEEL AND SLICE YOUR APPLES
DO I NEED TO PEEL THE APPLES? Peeling the apples allows the apples to break down and turn soft. Often leaving the peel on can keep the apples a little rough. You can however if you prefer the texture or the fiber.
You can buy apple peeler/corers for pretty inexpensive at many stores and online. There is also a kitchenaid attachment that will do this job for you
TOSS THE APPLES IN A LITTLE BIT OF LEMON JUICE
MAKING APPLE PIE FILLING
- In a separate bowl add your sugar, flour and spices.
- mix well
- pour over your apples
- stir until well combined
Form your pie crust around the bottom of your pie pan. Add your apple pie filling.
Dollop your butter around the top of the apple pie filling
COVER THE APPLE PIE FILLING WITH ANOTHER CRUST
Cover the top with a second crust. You can do this several different ways
- simply place a whole crust over top. Make sure to cut a few (3-4) slits for the filling to expand.
- Creative lattice
- Pie cut outs- like leaves or other decorations made out of pie crust to cover the top.
Crimp the edges and your ready for the egg wash.
TOP THE RAW PIE CRUST WITH EGG WASH
in a little bowl add water and egg white. Whip together and brush on the top. This will help give the pie a nice golden brown. If your oven cooks on the warm side cover the sides of the pie crust with some foil to avoid burning. The last 15 minutes remove the foil.
HOW DO I SERVE APPLE PIE?
Here are a few toppings you can serve on or with your apple pie!
- Try adding coarse sugar to the top before you bake. Or if you place on after you bake first butter the top then add coarse sugar. It adds a delicious sweet crunch.
- Creamy Vanilla ice cream.
- Whipped Cream
- Salted Caramel drizzle!
MAKE A GLUTEN-FREE APPLE PIE
If you are using a gluten free pie crust you can make the filling gluten free by using a 1-to-1 flour substitute. I've use cup-4-cup brand flour and it worked great!!
HOW DO I STORE APPLE PIE?
Apple pie can be store on your counter the day you make it. After you have eaten it and have leftovers its best to store them in an air tight container preferably in the fridge. It will keep there for 7 days.
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK!
If you tried this hot apple pie or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Hot Apple Pie
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 med to large apples thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Pastry for double-crust pie 9 inches
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and spices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture;toss well to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie pan with half the pastry. Place apple filling into crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut a few slits in top. beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degrees F and bake 10-15 minutes more or until golden.
Gary Fontenot says
No temperature given or time to bake, very bad….
The baking temperature and time are located in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degrees F and bake 10-15 minutes more or until golden.
I love apple pie! Can't wait to try this mini version!
Kim Henrichs says
I love these tiny pies!!
Cassandra Eastman says
I'm going to have to try and make these, I've never made apple pie and these ones are just so cute!!