I am so excited to introduce our newest healthy mama! About a year ago I stumbled upon the most beautiful bracelets – the Count Me Healthy bracelet. They are such a unique idea and I was instantly in love. I received compliment after compliment on my bracelet so I started buying them as gifts and collecting them myself. I was thrilled when Chelsea agreed to team with Oh So for a giveaway and was even more thrilled to learn that she was genuine, down to earth, and so so kind. I was even more thrilled when she agreed to guest blog for our healthy mama series. Chelsea is such a role model to woman who are striving for success and health (aren’t we all???) So without further delay – here’s Chelsea…
Hello! I’m Chelsea, founder of Chelsea Charles Jewelry and the lifestyle blog, Spring & Chelsea. Thanks for having me as part of your Healthy Mama series Oh So! The girls invited me to talk about my top must-have healthy mama tip and thought I would also include a jewelry giveaway (entry at the end of the post).
Mindfulness – A Healthy Mama’s Must Have
So are you still sticking with your New Year’s Resolutions? If you are, especially with the stress of balancing work and children, you no doubt have a decent handle on mindfulness. I think in our tool box of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, mindfulness should be the tool we reach for most often. It isn’t talked about much when discussing nutrition, but they go hand-in-hand. Being mindful is what helps us strengthen our discipline to maintain healthy habits like portion control and avoid harmful things such as too much sugar and artificial ingredients.
I wanted to talk about mindfulness because it is what I have built my brand on. One usually wouldn’t meld an accessory company with wellness, but this is why I created Count Me Healthy Bracelets, the jewelry Chelsea Charles, LLC is most known for. Count Me Healthy bracelets are the first beautiful health journals for your wrist. Women track things like daily glasses of water, fruit and vegetable servings, weekly pounds lost, glasses of wine, apps at a party, miles walked, daily moment of gratitude (thing to count are endless) by sliding the hand-etched beads. The beads stay in place unless moved by the wearer. They are a constant reminder of your goals as they can be worn throughout the day with any attire, even formal. I came up with the idea 12 years ago after I read an article stating that the best way to reach any goal is to journal. 50 prototypes, eight years and two patents later, Count Me Healthy bracelets launched.
And although my company is built around mindfulness and consider myself a budding expert, I didn’t realize how much more difficult it is to practice after having children. It is hard! Some days it is non-existent!
So here are some small practices (with BIG impact) to introduce mindfulness into your daily routine:
- Take 10 minutes to pray or meditate: It is hard to find time, but wake up 10 minutes earlier or use your workout cool down as a vehicle for your meditation.
- Consider using a daily affirmations or prayer book. I read a page every day while the coffee is brewing. Dailyword, a monthly Unity Publication and 28 Days to a More Magnetic Life by Sandra Anne Taylor are two favorites.
- Sit down while you eat. Do not eat at the sink or the counter.
- Sit down with your child while they are eating. Their mealtimes are different from ours. How often do we just cut the food up on the plate and walk away to clean the kitchen, check our phone, etc, leaving our little one to eat by themselves? I am guilty of this. I really now try to sit with my son, even if I’m not eating, so that he stays more focused on the experience of eating together. We also make family sit down dinners a priority at our house.
- Do not eat your children’s food. It is so easy to eat off of their plate when they are finished or just take a handful of whatever snack they are consuming before closing up the bag and putting it in the pantry.
- Log out of your social networking accounts: After my son goes to bed, I try to log out of my Instagram and Facebook. If I don’t, my nose is buried in the screen and I need to be mindful of the time my husband and I spend together.
- Write daily notes & thank yous: Corresponding by post is a lost art. The cool thing is that it takes the focus off of the daily stresses and allows you to focus intently on writing to another person…to brighten their day. It is a win-win. I love finding cool stationary. My favorite Etsy shop for monogrammed note cards is PaperVeil
- Eat Real: This has been burned into our brains, but try to eat as whole as possible. Searching for organic produce, reading labels and buying from local farmers takes time and effort, but it makes us more mindful of our bodies and the earth and is such a great example for our children.
And as a pretty, constant reminder to eat real (something Oh So does oh so well), I’m giving away a Real Food Commitment Love Tag from my new collection. Love Tag necklaces are 14k gold filled hand-stamped tags on blush silk cord. They are a softer interpretation of the dog tag with words of inspiration on the front and dainty hearts on the back.
Wishing all of you healthy mamas a wonderful week. xx CC
An example of my love tag necklaces.
Real Food Love Tag.