What greater birthday cake can there be than an exploding Volcano cake covered in dinosaurs!? This volcano cake is fast and easy to assemble- totally doable at home yet it will make the best impression! Edible lava, colorful dinosaurs, and delicious cake underneath.
Why this volcano cake works
- Easy to assemble
- Products are easy and inexpensive to find!
- The entire cake is edible
- Can be done within an hour
There are 3 steps to making this Volcano cake with exploding lava.
- Make the volcano.
- Adding Lava
Step 1: Shape your Volcano
- Start by making our Rice Krispie treat recipe. (Don't worry you should have a little bit left over that you can eat. Trust me, you will want to snack on them.) This recipe is a bit extra marshmallowy meaning it will give you no problems on falling apart or holding its shape.
- Using a 16oz mason jar build up your Rice Krispie treats around the jar in the shape of a volcano. Let cool completely.
Choose a volcano covering.
I have used both
- chocolate frosting
- chocolate fondant
I prefer to use chocolate fondant, I feel that its easier to work with, less messy and looks better. But you can 100% use chocolate frosting on top of the Rice Krispies if that is your preferred topping.
- knead your fondant for a few minutes to get it malleable then roll it to about ¼ inch.
- fold it into fourths to transfer an then fold it over your volcano.
- press it gently down top of your volcano (remember volcanos are bumpy and rough its ok if you don't have smooth sides on your volcano.)
- Trim the edges and cut a hole in the top.
*If you want the simplest possible volcano use Coco Krispies and don't use any covering at all.
What is fondant and where do I buy it?
Fondant an edible icing, but in sheets! I bought mine at Walmart (just though delivery app). If you are in a Walmart store look at their party section not the baking isle.You can also buy it at Michaels and other cake specialty stores or make it homemade.
You can buy both white and chocolate fondant. I bought chocolate because it is already brown and ready to use. If you buy white fondant you can add color by kneading in food dye.
What kind of cake do I use for an exploding volcano cake?
You can make a homemade cake or a store bought sheet cake. I have done both- what is pictured is a store bought sheet cake.
Here are some tips if you choose homemade.
- If placing volcano on top of cake make it 2 layers to hold up the volcano.
- Place cake around homemade cake if you don't want to worry about volcano effecting cake.
Tips for a store bought cake:
- I prefer this cake because the frosting is a little more stable and the cake is strong enough to hold up the volcano with no issues.
- Freeze cake for about an hour then scrape off the decorations. They come off easily!
PROTIP: to smooth out the icing I run my icing spatula under hot warm water and it works perfect!
How to make your Lava for dinosaur volcano cake
You will need
- Red Jello
- Boiling water
- Dry Ice
In pitcher add your jello and boiling together. Stir for two minutes.
Assemble your volcano on or to the side of your dinosaur cake.
Pour in your Jello. Your exploding volcano works best when the jello is hot! So don't make the jello until you are ready to explode!
Add your dry ice
You can find dry ice at your local grocery store. I find mine at a Kroger store called Albertsons. There are sometimes other retailers that sell it near you. a Good way to find dry ice near you is to google "where can I buy dry ice near me."
remember with dry ice:
- NEVER touch dry ice with your bare skin.
- Dry ice evaporates. Once you buy it you need to use it with in a couple of hours. If you think it will be a few hours buy a larger block, store it in an air tight container in the freezer. That will slow down the evaporation process.
Place a sheet pan under your cake to trip the drippings of the lava.
To keep the volcano going you will need to add more warm jello and dry ice intermittently. You might want to take the volcano off the cake and set it somewhere else so you can serve cake but still have the awesome smoking volcano going.
Yes! This is a great alternative to coving with frosting or fondant!
Yes! you can use cake and place a jar inside the middle to hold the liquid jello.
YES! if you want to make this all on a larger scale just change the amount of ingredients but follow the same process
I picked up this $10 bucket of dinosaurs and they were the perfect size! not too big or too small. (I hand made the hats).
Volcano Cake with dinosaurs
- 1 16 oz glass jar
- 1 ½ sheet cake store bought
Rice Krispie Volcano
- 1 cup butter
- 2 10oz bags of mini mallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 pkg chocolate fondant
- 2 6oz packages of red jello
- 3 cups boiling water
- 5+ lbs dry ice break into small pieces
- In a large pan melt butter. When Melted add in marshmallows. When Marshmallows are starting to soften and expand stir in Rice Krispies.
- Place glass jar on parchment paper and build up rice kripsie mixture around it to form a volcano. Bring the Rice Krispies about ½ inch above the rim of the jar. There will be some extra Rice Krispies. you can place those in a pan and eat.
- Knead chocolate fondant for about 3-5 minutes until soft. Roll out to ¼ inch and lay over volcano. Gently press down and trim bottom. Cut hole in top over Jar opening.
- If desired freeze cake for about an 1 and then scrape off store frosting decorations. Add dinosaurs and volcano to top of cake.
- Right before ready to serve Mix jello with boiling water. Pour into jar (there will be some leftover for extra long volcano erupting opportunities) When ready add dry ice into Warm jello mixture.