These citrus slaw tacos are the perfect quick weeknight dinner. They come together in minutes with the perfect creamy dressing and crunchy slaw. Top it on your favorite chicken or fish taco and they'll be a hit!
What are Citrus Slaw Tacos?
These citrus slaw tacos are a copycat taco from a popular Southern California chain resturant. Delicious corn tortilla with shredded chicken or your favorite fish toped with crunchy tangy slightly creamy slaw. It's the best combination.
Why this recipe works?
This taco recipe is awesome because
- its quick and easy to throw together in a matter of minutes.
- Switch up your typical taco night with a citrus slaw.
- It's creamy tangy combination is great for both picky eaters and non-picky eaters. It give the tacos a gourmet twist without too much fuss.
About the ingredients
- Cole Slaw mix- This can be store bought or chopped up small heads of cabbage by hand. I like to have a mix of both green, purple cabbage and carrots.
- Limes and Lemons- Each citrus brings a bit of flavor in different ways so I like to include both.
- Mayonaise- I like using mayo for its flavor but you can sub for plain greek yogurt too.
- Honey- this adds a little sweetness and dimension to the sauce! don't skip!
How to make homemade cole slaw for citrus slaw tacos
Step one: Start by thinly slicking your cabbages.
Step two: Using a julienne tool cut your carrots. If you don't have a tool like this you can chop your carrots up very fine.
Step three: slice your onions and herbs up small also.
Step 4: combine in a large bowl
Make your citrus slaw sauce for tacos
Add your mayo, salt and pepper and citrus juice in a small bowl.
Continue adding your oil, honey and remaining ingredients. Whisk together.
Pour over your slaw.
Stir together Cole slaw and citrus sauce
Mix everything together so the sauce coats all of the vegetables
How to assemble citrus slaw tacos
- In warm tortillas add your cooked meat. You can use grilled chicken, your own favorite chicken, rotisserie chicken. Fish is also great paired with cilantro lime slaw. Any white fish or salmon would be perfect.
- Add a generous amount of slaw
- add extra toppings
What toppings are great with this taco citrus slaw recipe?
You can use
- avocado or guacamole
- This pico de Gallo or Fresh salsa
- Feta cheese, or melt cheese on tortilla before adding chicken
In your corn tortillas layer your chicken and top generously with the slaw!!
We often get asked if you can make a recipe ahead of time. For this easy slaw recipe you can make it ahead of time if you will be serving within a few hours. It does not do well if you are making it days ahead. The citrus dressing causes the cabbage and carrots to become more limp then crunchy.
PRO TIP: To prepare ahead cut your veggies and place together in fridge in air tight container or bag.
In separate container make your citrus dressing and also place in an air tight container in fridge. 30 minutes before serving mix together in large bowl.
This taco slaw will keep in the fridge for about 5-7 days. It will not stay as crunchy as day one but will still taste great!
Freshly chopped cabbage is more crunchier than store bought bagged cabbaged but still both will work great!
More Taco Recipes
If you love this recipe, we think you will definitely these as well!
Keep in touch!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Citrus Slaw Tacos
- 2 cup green cabbage or three cups of bagged slaw
- 2 cup purple cabbage
- 1 carrot julienne cut
- 2 green onions chopped
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon mayo
- 1 juice of lemon
- 1 juice of lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey heaping tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
optional Chili lime Chicken Marinade
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- juice and zest of two limes
- 1 tbsp heaping sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Chop cabbage, onion, carrot, cilantro, combine in large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix mayo, lemon, lime, oil, honey salt and pepper.
- Stir together and let rest for 30 minutes. top on your favorite taco with pico de Gallo, cojita cheese or feta.