Fluffy buttery-sweet Poppy Seed Bread topped with a delicious citrus glaze! This Almond Poppyseed Bread is one of my all time favorites to make. I'm showing some tips and tricks to making this easily and even gluten-free if you need!
*this post as been updated but the recipe remains the same.
Why Is This Bread or Loaf instead of Cake?
Sweet breads like this poppy seed bread, or banana bread are called bread because they are more dense than cake. Even chocolate zucchini cake or carrot cake are lighter than zucchini bread.
Why this Poppy Seed Bread is the Best!
This sweet bread seriously irresistible. Once you have one bite you won't be able to stop.
- It's citrus flavors go great year round for all occasions
- a sweet bread that even the pickiest eaters will love
- easy to make, and easy to alter so its gluten-free *see below
Ingredients for Poppy Seed Loaf
You will need your typical ingredients for sweet bread:
- flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, eggs, salt, milk, vanilla, oil
What makes this bread unique is the
- Almond Extract
- Poppy Seeds
- Orange Juice
PRO-TIP: You can find the almond extract by the spices. Check on the top shelf, in my stores out west the extracts are usually at the top. Poppyseeds are usually just in with the spices by alphabetical order.
How to make Orange or Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
STEP 1: In a large bowl mix all your dry ingredients together. This will ensure that your rising agents are incorporated evenly throughout the batter.
STEP 2: Mix the together so everything is evenly incorporated.
*leave your sugar out. Only flour, salt and powder.
- In a large bowl add your sugar.
- Cream sugar and oil together.
- Add in eggs.
- Mix in vanilla.
5. Slowly mix in your milk.
6. Gradually add in your dry ingredients.
7. Add your Almond Extract.
8. Mix just until well incorporated.
Add in poppy seeds and stir until combined.
Tips for Baking the Poppy Seed Bread
Here are some tips for the best loaf poppy seed bread!
- Line your pan with parchment paper.
- Larger Loaves will take longer to bake which will in turn make your outside slight light thicker and crisper than smaller loaves.
- To test if your loaf is done press down in the middle- if it springs up it is cooked through, if it stays depressed it need more cooking time.
Place your batter in your preferred pan size and bake! For larger pans (8 inches) bake for about an hour, for smaller pans they will bake for about 30 minutes.
What size bread pan do I use?
This poppy seed loaf recipe is very versatile in what you can bake it in. I make them in different pans all theme.
MY FAVORITE is to purchase smaller aluminum pans. I evenly divide the batter out into the pans, filling them about ¾ full. These are great for sharing or freezing! They bake much faster and the crust will be soft and thin.
Traditional larger (about 8 inches) will take longer to cook (50-60) minutes but also work awesome too!
The Citrus Glaze
While the cake is baking prepare your glaze!! This is really very simple and the part I love so much. I could guzzle this glaze. Here is what you need:
- orange juice or citrus juice of choice like lemon.
- almond extract
- powder sugar
Start by mixing your wet ingredients together and then whisk in the powder sugar. Whisking will help to get all the clumps out.
Pour Citrus Glaze on Poppy Seed Bread
When your bread is out of the oven poke the top of the bread with a toothpick over the entire top.
Now, generously spoon the glaze over the top of the bread! (you can leave the bread in the pan- which is really nice because it pools at the bottom of the pan.)
LET COOL AND EAT!
Would yo believe me if I told you all these photos of the gorgeous fluffy bread is GLUTEN FREE?! I simply substituted my regular flour for the brand cup-4-cup gluten-free flour and it was amazing with perfect texture.
Leftovers can be left at room temperature for 2-3 days. Any longer play in the fridge or store in an airtight container in the freezer.
If you can't find or don't like almond extract you can use coconut extract or just omit if from the recipe. The Almond extract really does enhance the sweetness of the bread and citrus without actually making it sweeter.
Love this Bread Try These!
These are some of my favorite breads.
Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Let's Be Friends!
If you tried this Almond Poppyseed Bread or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Almond Poppyseed Bread
- 3 cups flour
*can sub cup-4-cup gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 ¼ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 ½ cup powder sugar
or use ¾ cup reg sugar
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Mix dry ingredients together, and then mix in wet ingredients.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 inch pans 1 hour. For smaller loafs 20-45 minutes.
- Mean while whisk together glaze until sugar is incorporated.
- Prick holes in the surface of the cooked loaves with a toothpick.
- Pour glaze over immediately after removing bread from oven.
- Let cool. Enjoy!
- Yields: 2 8 inch loaves. For smaller aliminum pans (3x5 inches) will make about 5 loaves and bakes for about 30 minutes.
Emily Kemp says
This bread looks so delicious, perfect with some marmalade!