Good for him, right?
BUT, there is a bright side people.
I’m like master chef-reinvented. Booyeah.
Here, I present my own version of Stuffed Peppers!
I’m sure you heard about the quinoa hype, and I’m officially converted. It’s basically identical to brown rice on steroids. More protein, more fiber, tastes great, it’s pretty much amazing.
Top with cheese, sour cream, whatever suits your Vegetarian Mexican fancy!
- half onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 c quinoa, rinsed
- 1 c broth
- 1 can black beans
- 1 c corn
- 1 4 oz. can green chilies
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t cumin
- bunch cilantro
- 4-5 bell peppers
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 t cayenne, to taste
- 1 t onion powder
- salt to taste
- garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocado
- Add onion, garlic, quinoa, and broth to saucepan. Bring to boil, simmer 5 minutes, turn heat off, let sit covered for 15 minutes.
- Mix with beans, corn, green chilies, tomatoes, cilantro, salt, cumin. Set aside.
- Cut tops off of bell peppers. Wrap with damp paper towels, place on plate, and microwave 2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix tomato sauce with spices, spread on bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Place peppers on sauce. Fill with quinoa mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Top with preferred garnishes.
Prepare as many bell peppers as you'd like, leftover filling makes a great, healthy lunch on its own the next day.