When you think of mint brownies do you think of the store bought kind? With a rich fudgey brownie, thin tiny frosting, then slathered in more chocolate? blah. no bueno. at least for me. I don’t like those mint brownies- but these! THESE are mint brownies. They have the gooey goodness of a brownie, then a thick fluffy creamy buttery, slightly minty layer of frosting…drizzled with a little bit more chocolate.
They aren’t overly rich, or too sweet. The creamy frosting pairs perfectly with chocolate brownies. A perfect decadence.
*I’ll be honest…. sometimes I skip the homemade brownie step and just use box brownie. a family size (9×13) of your favorite brand will do perfectly.
- *for a shortcut, you can use a family sized 9x13 brownie mix and bake like normal, top with frosting
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 16 ounce can Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 TBS. milk
- 5 drops green food coloring
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 TBS. milk
- Mix first four ingredients.
- Mix in eggs, then flour and chocolate syrup.
- Pour into a greased 11” X 17” pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F and let cool completely. (brownies will look wet on top).
- Mix all ingredients and spread on cooled brownie.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes or until mint layer is no longer wet on top.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat in small sauce pan.
- Stir, then add milk and stir until smooth.
- Pour over mint layer.
- Refrigerate until set – at least ½ hour.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator. (Also freezes well.)