Ok yes, it’s not quite fall and warm hearty soup weather yet, but I looove this tortellini minestrone soup and make it year round. During the fall it makes a weekly appearance because it is simple to whip up. I also am a left-over-eater. I know there are many out there who will let the food rot in the tupperware before thinking of reheating food but I love it! This healthy soup is one of those that makes a ton so I have plenty of lovely little lunches for my self.
Minestrone With or Without Meat
I start out with some mild Italian sausage cooked with the onion and garlic. You really don’t need to use the sausage.. and in fact this is a great meal to skip the meat and make it vegetarian style. Carly on our blog is vegetarian and I love having meals like this on hand that will serve her diet as well. Makes me feel like a better host when I can accommodate others diets.
If you choose not to use the sausage, you might want to add in some other seasonings. The sausage brings a lot of flavor to the soup, so it might be more bland with out it. I always ALWAYS top every bowl of soup with some fresh parmesan cheese and basil. Just adds a little amazingness to finish your minestrone soup off with. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 container of 3 Cheese Tortellini (refrigerated pasta)
- 1 lb. ground mild Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 - 32 oz. Boxes of Chicken Broth
- 2-3 C Water
- 1 Zucchini, cut into bit size pieces
- 1 Yellow Squash. cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can Italian Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Handful of Spinach
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Basil, chiffonade
- In a large stockpot, sauté sausage, onion, and garlic until sausage is cooked through.
- Add in Broth, water, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, beans and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- When zucchini is starting to soften add in Tortellini.
- Cook pasta according to directions, if the pasta requires more than 3-5 minutes of cooking, add in earlier.
- When pasta is cooked, add in spinach and stir. Spinach will cook quickly.
- Serve warm garnished with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.