About six years ago I went on the hunt for the PERFECT mac and cheese. I didn’t want to hassle with making a white sauce or buying fancy ingredients. I wanted something tasty and simple. I came across this recipe and it is seriously a winner. I’ve been making it every since and I have yet to serve it to someone who didn’t absolutely LOVE it. My dad claims to not even like mac and cheese, but requests this dish every time he visits. I recently made this for a potluck BBQ and it was the only dish where the pan was completely and utterly empty.
The original recipe called for your standard macaroni noodle, but I like penne. I like the cheese to fill the noodle so you get a perfect cheesy bite each time.
- 12 oz Penne Pasta or Macaroni if you desire
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 8 oz American Cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded (2 cups)
- 2 oz Mozzarella, shredded (1/2 Cup)
- 20 Ritz Crackers, crushed
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. In a large pot cook pasta according to directions, drain and return to pot.
- Add milk, butter, pepper, and salt. Stir in Cheeses. Transfer to a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Carefully stir mixture. Sprinkle with crushed crackers and bake 5 more minutes or until crackers are browned and mixture is heated through. (Don't overcook or mixture will curdle) Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Watch it disappear before your eyes.