Honestly if it weren’t for my husband I would have always stuck with carne asada tacos. I am the kind of person who, when finds a dish they love at a restaurant, sticks to it. I will be the most loyal human to that dish they ever did see. I suppose I’m like this for two reasons…. 1. If I’m going to spend my hard earned money on something it better be good! 2. I’m usually going to that restaurant because I totally craving that specific meal!
My husband has a great knowledge of mexican food and culture. So while he has tried the squid and cow tongues from their personal grills he also always knows some of the best foods to order at a Mexican restaurant. His favorite is tacos al pastor.
Al Pastor is pork marinated in chili seasoning and pineapple, then- traditionally it is slowly cooked on a vertical rotisserie. However since we all don’t have rotisserie’s at home you can grill or cook in a skillet.
You will need a few different kinds of chile’s for the marinade. The marinade is KEY for these tacos. you can find these chili’s in the Mexican isle and produce section in pretty much every grocery store.
Guajillo Chile are dried and found in plastic bags by the mexican spices. You will also need adobo in chipotle, and a pasillo chile found by the jalapeños, They are a large, mild green chile.
After boiling the dried chilis till tender, add all ingredients to blender and blend till smooth.
Marinate, grill, and serve with this amazing PINEAPPLE MANGO SALSA
- 1-2lbs pork loins
- 1 large papilla chile
- 3 guajillo chiles
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 chipotle from can of adobo
- 1 tsp of adobe sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 pineapple
- 2 TBS sugar
- sliced limes
- small tortilla shells
- In a small sauce pan boil pasilla chile and guajillo chiles until guajillo chile is soft. about 10 minutes.
- Take chiles out, remove stems and seeds.
- Place in blender with garlic, cumin, lime, chipotle, adobo sauce, vinegar, pineapple and sugar.
- Cut pork loin into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place in bag and pour marinade over.
- Allow to marinate for 4 hours-over night.
- After marinating place pork on grill or on a skillet on high heat.
- Chop into small bite size pieces.
- Serve with Limes, onions and cilantro and pineapple salsa.