Corn on the cob screams summer to me. I have such fond memories of buttery fingers and corn stuck between my teeth as a kid. We would eat corn on the cob all.the.time during the summer months. It is still one of my favorite side dishes and I adore all of the variations on this simple summer food. Love love love – the saltwater corn here on the blog!
This past weekend we were invited to a bbq and asked to bring a salad. With the summer months upon us I instantly thought corn on the cob, and this salad was born!
I whipped up a homemade dressing and added a few other fresh ingredients and it was PERFECTION! We’re talking summer beach party in my mouth!
This could really be transformed to meet your personal tastes – you could add onion, bell pepper, a tasty soft cheese…the dressing is mild and would pair perfectly with whatever you wanted to toss into this versatile salad.
For the dressing I juiced a lemon and a lime – about 1/4 cup of liquid. Then I added about 1/2 cup of olive oil, some salt and pepper, a clove of garlic, some onion powder, and about 1/4 of a bunch of cilantro.
I threw it all in the blender and blended until smooth. On the Blendtec I used the dressing mode.
Then I got to work on the corn. I added my husked corn to a large pot, filled it with water, covered and brought to a boil. Once it was boiling I turned off the burner. I transfered my corn to the grill to add a little char…but this is totally optional.
I chopped 1 cucumber, 2 avocados, and added half of a pint of cherry tomatoes. I cut the corn off the cob and tossed that into the bowl as well. Lastly I tossed it with the dressing and popped it in the fridge for an hour before it was served.
- 4 ears of corn
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup lemon/lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil<
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- Prepare 4 ears of corn by removing husks and placing in a large pot. Fill with water, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn off heat.
- If desired, transfer corn to a grill and char the outside.
- Cut corn from the cob using a sharp knife and transfer to a large bowl.
- Peel one cucumber and slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cut each slice in half. Add to bowl.
- Slice 2 avocados and add to bowl.
- Add 1/2 pint of rinsed cherry tomatoes.
- Toss with dressing (recipe below.)
- In a blender combine lemon or lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and cilantro.
- Blend until smooth.