May is Celiac Awareness Month. Are you aware of Celiac disease ;) 10 years ago if you asked me I would have had no idea, but about that time one of my best friends was diagnosed with it and it changed my way of looking at food for good. She is extremely sensitive to anything gluten. I can’t even touch my gluten and then touch anything that she will later touch without her getting sick from it. I remember thinking about all the things she COULDN’T eat back then. But now, the food industry has come such a long ways in providing options for all kinda of allergies, especially for those allergic to gluten. Most items are now labeled gluten free or not. SO many brands make gluten free options, and you can find them in almost every store. More particularly I find the best selection at grocery and health food stores (vs like a super store) Health food stores can be expensive and few, so I love to shop at Ralphs. They always have a wide variety of delicious gluten free items.
This quinoa bowl is so fresh, filling and GLUTEN-FREE. Quinoa is a wonderful option for those who can’t do gluten. Helen from Well-Being Secrets wrote an incredibly informative article about quinoa that gets down to the science of this perfect grain–along with a ton of other articles on almost any food you can think of! Go check out her site! I thought it would be the perfect recipe for Celiac Awareness Month. It’s also great for me on-the-go or in the summer. When all my children are home from school we tend to spend the days out and about. They love a good PB&J, but I don’t. I love to pack something like this. It has fresh vegetables and Quinoa to keep me full and energized. And another big plus… its not full of calories.
There are millions of different combos for quinoa bowls. This one has a the crisp cool cucumber, freshness of herbs, savory from the quinoa, and flavor packed with onions, tomatoes, feta and avocado. A squeeze of fresh lime or lemon and this bad boy ready to go. You don’t need any dressings, they just need to sit together for a while and marinate. The veggies have enough juices and flavor that adding anything to this bowl would over do it.
Products Featured in this post:
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cups broth
- 1/2 cucumber diced
- 1-2 tomatoes diced
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime or lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 + cup feta
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Since quinoa with cold water for about a minute. Bring quinoa and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Let quinoa cool.
- In a large bowl add all chopped veggies, herbs, garlic salt and cheese together. (if you are going to be eating this through out the week don't add avocado. Add avocado right before eating so it doesn't turn brown)
- Squeeze lemon or lime over top and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let salad marinate for at least an hour before serving. Or divide into individual servings in air tight containers and use through out the week when you're on the go!
@RalphsGrocery provided me with a gift card in exchange for a mention, but all opinions expressed here are my own. #lovemyralphs