Strawberry Basil Lemonade. Does that sound a little unusual to you? It’s kind of different. When you first drink a sip of the lemonade you’re hit with a sweet strawberry sensation, then comes the bubbles (if you used sparkling water) and then the basil, followed with minty, refreshing aftertaste in your mouth! I recently served this at a dinner party and everyone asked for the recipes. They LOVED it. One woman said “You know how lemonade is so sweet it doesn’t really quench your thirst or leave you feeling refreshed, this totally does! I love the taste.”
I love to grab the BIG box of basil at Ralphs grocery store. Beautiful, giant, whole basil leaves that I use for several dishes for weeks! You’ll also want to grab a bag of lemons (yes a bag) and a pint of strawberries. Strawberries are in season! Hallelujah! They are so affordable. Right now Ralphs has several awesome deals going on, perfect to grab all your groceries for your big Easter dinner. Their food is really the best quality down here, and the best prices. It’s my go-to store, I mean- I’m always taking pictures of my food! They have to be beautiful.
Prepare all your fruit and basil by washing de-stemming, chopping. In a small sauce pan you will make your strawberry syrup. When the syrup has cooled you’ll blend, add lemonade and basil and let chill. Seriously this is so easy.
I love to sometimes serve this with sparkling water, but you can do either chilled water or sparkling depending on your atmosphere of your dinner party.
When ready to serve I like to add 1 part syrup to 1 part cold (ice cold!) sparkling water. Add a fun straw, lemons and basil for garnish!
- 1/2 pint or pound of strawberries, leaves off and sliced in half
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- cold sparkling water
- In a sauce pan combine water and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Over medium heat add strawberries bring so a slow boil and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Until the strawberries are soft and syrup is thick.
- Let cool.
- When cool transfer strawberries to blender and blend till smooth. Add lemon juice and basil. Place in fridge and allow to cool and flavors to marry.
- When ready to serve add equal parts ice cold water to cold strawberry basil syrup.
- Garnish with more basil and lemon slices
- If you choose you can strain liquid after it has cooled.
@RalphsGrocery provided me with a gift card in exchange for a mention, but all opinions expressed here are my own. #lovemyralphs