A few years ago I made some rainbow cupcakes like this for my son’s birthday party and they have become one of the most consistently pinned recipes on our blog. I’ve received a lot of questions about the who’s and the what’s about these babies, so I decided to do a separate post with all the specifics. I added the gold coin oreo’s because this is the PERFECT treat for your St.Patrick’s Day Party. You’ll Need::
- Cupcakes – whatever is your favorite. Bake and let cool. I found these gold cupcake liners at Michaels.
- This BUTTERCREAM FROSTING recipe
- Wilton Color Mist in gold– edible gold spray paint. I bought from Michaels craft store, also it’s found online.
- Golden Oreo Thins
- 1M Star Tip/ Gallon size bag
- Extreme Sour Rainbow Candy- I have the best luck at finding this candy at a grocery store. Super stores (i.e. super walmart/super target) sometimes have them, but I can alway rely on my local Albertsons to have this candy.
Bake your cupcakes. Prepare your frosting. Spray paint your oreos. Allow all to cool, dry and start frosting the cupcakes!
I like to use a gallon size bag, cut the tip of a corner off and insert star tip. If you place in a cup and fold over top it makes filling the back a cinch.
Fill with creamy frosting, and pipe on cupcakes. I love piping frosting on cupcakes. I honestly feel it goes SO much faster than the butterknife method.
Cut the rainbow air heads in half (any longer the rainbow won’t stay up) and insert into frosting.
Use gold coin oreo as decoration too!
No more all green food for your St.Patty’s day celebration- class it all up with these cupcakes!