“Pour some sugar on me!!! I’m hot, sticky sweet–from my head down to my feet, yeah!” OK I love the combination of spicy and sweet. Except for Mexican candy, my friend is always trying to get me into it, and I’m just not quite sure I’m there yet. I’ll try it one of these days. If you love the spicy-sweet combo, this Spicy, Sticky Chicken with Roasted Apples and Potatoes is for you!
I like chicken thighs because they hold up well to the extended baking period, and especially the broiling at the end. Also, they generally have plenty of juices and fat to aid in roasting whatever else is in the pan. For this spicy, sticky chicken, I just use my oily/spice-laden hands to rub all over the potatoes and apples and onions. That’s all the oil that is needed to roast those! The combination of roasted apples and potatoes is one of my favorites. They balance each other out (i.e. like the leftover Cadbury eggs I had later after eating this), and kids love them.
Sheet Pan Meals
Have you been loving our sheet pan meals this week? Like our Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwiches or Herb Crusted Salmon. They’re my favorite. I feel like I’m cheating, and not cooking a real dinner whenever I make them. You’re haphazardly throwing stuff in a pan and tossing it in the oven, then calling it dinner 30 minutes later. Who does that? ME. Me. The main thing about sheet pan meals is to cut things so that they’ll all cook evenly. I think we’ve all hit on that in our posts this week, and as long as you do that, you’re golden. And like the other girls, I’ve been loving my pan from Crow Canyon Home–check it out here.
Drizzle a little glaze of honey and apple cider vinegar, broil it until it’s all perfect and caramel-y, and you have the perfect meal!
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (bone-in or boneless)
- 2 t salt
- 2 t smoked paprika
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 T onion powder
- 3/4 t chipotle chili powder (may need to decrease if kids are eating)
- 3/4 t garlic powder
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, chopped
- 2 apples, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- olive oil
- 1/4 c honey
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- Mix spices together and rub into chicken thighs. Let marinate in fridge at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle olive oil over chicken thighs and use hands to rub into chicken, then place in sheet pan. Surround chicken with chopped veggies/apples, then use hands to rub a little of the oil/spices from the chicken onto the veggies/apples. Bake 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to broil. Whisk honey and vinegar together, then brush on chicken thighs. Broil until honey has caramelized. May repeat with another brushing of honey. Serve.