We have had a fun opportunity to work with Mission Foods and show off a brand new product of theirs… GLUTEN-FREE Tortillas!! Can I get an AMEN?! If you’re not singing hallelujahs with me, you might be wondering why gluten-free tortillas? Why not just use a corn tortilla? Well my friends, corn tortillas are wonderful, delicious and have their place in Mexican cuisine. But somethings just can’t be made with a corn tortilla! (P.S. Check the bottom of this post for a fun easy giveaway!!)
For instance, enchiladas. You need a nice large soft tortilla to fill and wrap then smother with sauce and cheese. Small crumbly corn tortillas just have a hard time doing that. Burritos are another great example. Corn just can’t pull it off. So meanwhile, everyone that is gluten-free, whether by choice or not, can’t enjoy some of the wonderful dishes that made with the lovely flour tortilla. Well, Mission Foods got all smarty pants on us and figured out how to make a gluten-free tortilla! Looks, feels, tastes and cooks just like the real thing! Isn’t this amazing!?
I have a few friends with celiacs disease and I am very sensitive to their needs. They have told me horror stories about accidentally eating flour ridden foods. Not fun. It can be hard for them to find the right products and usually have to make things from scratch. One bit of gluten and they are sick sick sick. As a friend, the last thing I want to do is cook up a meal that they can’t eat. So thanks Mission, for being aware and accommodating to them! To find out more about Mission and get the real insider scoop click here..
Now, about this Spicy Chipotle Chicken Salad we have going on over here… it’s smoky, spicy, tangy and hearty. All the things a good chipotle salad should be! Best part it was pretty easy to put together. Really what you are cooking here is the chicken. If you know me, you know I love a versatile recipe that can multi-task. This tender chipotle chicken does just that. Today, I served it over a salad. It would also be amazing in burritos, over Mexi-Rice, in quesadillas, or heck.. mixed in some mac n’ cheese for Mexi- Mac! Yum!! See what I mean?! Multi-Tasking.
To make the crunchy shell of the salad, brush both sides of the tortilla with a little oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Just like you are going to make tortilla chips. Place an oven safe dish, such as a ramekin on a cookie sheet and lay the tortilla over. Bake at 450 degs F until golden.. about 8-10 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow to cool. Dish up your salad inside and enjoy!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Onion
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 2 cans Diced Mexican Tomatoes with chilies
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 2 tsp Chipotle Chili Pepper
- Mission Foods Gluten-Free Tortilla Shells
- Olive Oil
- Sour Cream
- In a large pot, boil chicken until it shreds easily.
- While chicken is boiling, slice onion, bell pepper, and mince garlic. Combine in a large shallow pan with chipotle seasoning and tomatoes.
- Stir to combine,
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Allow to simmer until veggies are tender. About 15-20 mins.
- Shred chicken and stir into sauce.
- Brush both sides of the tortilla with a little oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Just like you are going to make tortilla chips.
- Place an oven safe dish, such as a ramekin on a cookie sheet and lay the tortilla over. Bake at 450 degs F until golden.. about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow to cool. Dish up your salad inside and enjoy!!
PRESSURE COOKER: Add chicken, tomatoes, chili pepper, and garlic into inner pot. Lock lid, set to default meat setting (10 minutes) and cook. Quick release pressure, shred chicken, add onion and peppers, set to vegetable setting for 2 minutes. Quick release pressure, serve over salad as directed.