My husband and I met at and attended BYU in Provo Utah, It’s also the birth place of Cafe Rio & Costa Vida and their famous shredded sweet pork meat. Like most college students, after you graduate you move away. We went on to law school, and then even more law school and ended up with a real life job in LA. Living far away from one of your favorite restaurants.
It’s pretty depressing not living around some of your most favorite foods, so naturally we try to recreate it. There are SO many different versions of this recipe on the web. I have no idea how many i’ve tried how many times- but this is what I’ve ended up with in the end. Countless times I’ve been told it is THE BEST! Way better than the original even…
The part about our sweet pork recipe is that you do not marinate it all night. You can, but honestly I typically completely forget. To make this shredded sweet pork recipe I instead slow cook it in coke for the majority of the day. About 3 hours before I’ll change out the coke, insert the sauce + more coke and let it finish cooking in that. Half an hour before serving you shred the pork in all the delicious sauce and let it cook for just a tad longer.
Sweet Pork Tacos
Most often we make sweet pork meat and serve it with uncooked/frozen tortillas (that we cook on the griddle), lettuce an a creamy cilantro lime dressing (made with buttermilk not milk) topped with fresh salsa or Pico de Gallo, and of course homemade guac (or at least avocado!). We also make them on corn tortillas, nachos aaaand even taquitos! Serve it with this really easy mexi-rice and its a slam dunk dinner.
- 1-2 lbs boneless pork roast*
- 2 liters of coke
- 1 small can of enchilada sauce
- 1 small (4 oz) can of green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- tsp of garlic salt
- Put frozen pork roast in crock pot with 1 liter of coke on high for 3-4 hours.
- Dump coke out of crock pot, leave roast in and separate the roast into a few smaller sections.... (helps the juices cook through the meat).
- Take can of green chilies, brown sugar, enchilada sauce, and half cup of coke in blender and blend till smooth.
- Add mixture to crock pot and about a half a liter of coke into crock pot. (so you should have 1/4 of the bottle left)
- Let cook for another 2-3 hours, till tender. An hour before serving shred pork and let sit in juices.
- Serve in burritos, tacos, salads :)
- *Costco has a GREAT pork roast. you get 4 of them for about $15. The are lean and very inexpensive for the price per pound. They also make great roasts for your sunday dinners. I used one of these roasts for the dinner and it fed all 6 adults + kids with a little leftover.
PRESSURE COOKER: Add all ingredients to pot, reducing coke to 1/2 L. Cook on poultry setting 70 minutes for thawed pork, 90 minutes frozen, natural release. If your pressure cooker only goes to 60 minutes, program that, and then press cancel, then add another 30 minutes. Shred pork and let sit in juices until ready to serve.