I’ve been looking forward to this post for a while now! We were invited to share in the excitement of Martha Stewart’s 7th season of Martha Bakes on PBS and give you a peek at one of her recipes – this Cranberry Tart. I don’t know about you but aside from my mother’s kitchen, I learned to cook from TV! I’ve spent many days watching various food celebrities whip up desserts and dinners. Watching the process and learning techniques has transformed my own culinary skills.
I’m so looking forward to watching the culinary master Martha Stewart and what a privilege we have to share a recipe! This Cranberry Tart is rich and elegant. A really fantastic party dish. The red cranberries are bold and festive- it really is a beautiful dessert. The nut crust is sweet and crunchy- my favorite part of any good pie or tart is the crust!
And can we talk about this insane cake stand?! The entire Martha Stewart collection at Macy’s is gorgeous but we have all the heart eyes for this Jadeite Cake Stand. Any other jadeite lovers out there?! (Just checked the Macy’s site and it’s on sale!!!) I’ve been very impressed with the quality and that glass dome- simple and classic.. I’m kind of obsessed!
Hope you give the tart a try! If you love cherry pie- this is right up your alley! Very similar tart, bold and sweet flavors you will love. I chose to do a round tart pan to fit the cake stand, but the recommended rectangle pan works amazing too! Serving the red cranberry tart on the jadeite green cake stand was just beautiful you guys. The combination sang Christmas carols to me! Hope you enjoy!
*** Also congrats the winner of our Service Series- Christina Almond***
- 3 1/2 ounces walnuts, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 6 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 3/4 cups to 2 cups sugar, to taste
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons cognac*
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle
- attachment, combine walnuts, butter, sugar, flour, salt, yolk, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Firmly press into the bottom and up the sides of an 11-by-8-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Bake until edges are set and golden, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand until
- softened, about 5 minutes.
- Combine cranberries, sugar, jelly, and cognac in a saucepan and cook over
- low heat until cranberries are soft but not bursting, 12 to 15 minutes. Do not
- overcook or the mixture will become too watery. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Stir in gelatin mixture and let cool completely.
- Pour cranberry filling into cooled tart shell and chill for at least 1 hour
- before serving.
* If you don't have Cognac, I substituted it for apple juice and it worked great!