I first had a taste of this zesty meatball pita years ago. I had a little 4 month old baby, I had a friend next door with a 4 month old baby too. We were both trying to finish up our last semesters of college and often we would switch babysitting during each other’s classes. Kelly was a creative cook. It was because of Kelly and Ginny (my other neighbor…and wouldn’t you know Jenna was also a neighbor who happens to be a fabulous cook!) that I really started branching out on my foods, became addicted to Food Network, and discovered REAL food.
One afternoon I came home from History of Interior Design 202 and Kelly pulled out a batch of these pitas. She offered them to me and I was honestly thinking of declining. My famished hunger (Gehry can do that to a girl) overtook my picky-ness and I delved in. It- was- delish! I asked how she did it, and it was so easy I’ve remembered it all these years.
Fresh and Healthy Meatball Pita
There are three tips to this pita the best!
- Homemade meatballs
- Zesty dressing (like this BRIANNAS Salad Dressing Zesty French or Italian)
- Fresh crispy marinated veggies
How to make meatball pita
First start with your meatballs. I don’t always bake them, but it really is an easy alternative. In 20 minutes they were all done. I wasn’t constantly flipping and turning and monitoring. Just stuck them in at 400.
For the meatballs make them small, bite size meatballs. I like to use ice cream scooper on normal meatballs but in this case use a melon baller. This medium sized cookie scoop is perfect! Makes them all even. You can take the leftovers and freeze them for your spaghetti dinner or tomorrow’s lunch. :)
Step 3: is just as simple as the others. Spoon your meatballs and marinated veggies into the pockets and EAT! its a great healthy lean meal. I especially love it for lunches. It’s one that makes a bunch so you can make it for an entire week. It’s even more delicious topped with bit of feta!
- 1lb ground meat- turkey or beef
- 2T minced onion
- 1tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2T milk
- 1 egg
- 1 Large Cucumber diced
- 3 Med vine ripe tomatoes
- optional 1/4 diced purple onion
- 1 Italian Dressing packet
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3T water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine all ingredients and lightly mix.
- roll, or use melon baller, to make small uniform meatballs
- line baking sheet with foil and bake 400 for 20 minutes
- Dice vegetables and place in serving bowl. (or air tight container if not to be served for some time)
- *If preparing your own dressing-In separate bowl whisk dressing together for 1 minute.
- Pour salad dressing over vegetables and periodically stir until serving time.
- Serve with pita bread, meatballs and marinated salad.