In case ya didn’t know, cupcakes are soooo last year, and trifles are sooo this year. OR so says my nine year old.For her birthday she wanted red velvet cake…. but not just your regular old cupcake. We had to change it up a bit. Make it a little more sophisticated, a bit more fancy. And let me tell you, all the other lil ladies who came to her party gobbled them up like crazy. Don’t tell my husband this, but I even let them eat them in the living room. They were way way way less messy.
I was a little worried they wouldn’t like the lemon cream cheese filling, buuuuut naw. It was a huge hit too. GUYS. You gotta try these. Take them to your next picnic, or make them for your next birthday party. The best part is that you can top them with a lid, they can get tipped over in the car or touch sides and not get ruined. Quite unlike cupcakes. They are the perfect color for the big Valentine’s Day coming up, and also perfect for the other red (and green) holiday. Or throw some blueberries on the top and take them for your 4th of July BBQ. Endless options people.
Also. This watch, is amazing. It would make a perfect Valentine’s gift for your someone special- I’m telling ya. Check out Daniel Wellington watches Here. This is my specific watch. Enter this special Daniel Wellington code “ohsodelicioso” for and extra 15% off for our friends and family <3
(Their instagram @danielwellington is super dangerous. I’m warning you now- if you follow them you will totally want a watch by the end of the day. They are so beautiful.)
- 1 red velvet cake, baked (I use just a boxed cake mix) 9x13 size
- 1 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 2-3 pints fresh raspberries
- While cake is cooling, make filling by beating cream cheese till smooth, add powder sugar, zest then yogurt. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Decide on how many mason jars you will be filling. I used the half pint and was able to easily fill about 8-10 with one cake mix. I divide the cake up into section so I have equal amount of cake in each jar.
- Cut the cake into 1x1inch squares.
- If using half pint jars I used about 2-3 one inch squares per layer.
- Spoon one large spoonful inbtween cake layers
- Cover with lid and let refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve top with more raspberries. 20
- You may add raspberries in-between the layers also. Or try additional fruits that are in season.