I grew up on homemade jam. Freezer jam, canned jam. Strawberry, raspberry, apricot, peach. It was a wonderful part of my childhood and one I couldn’t let my kids not experience also. Making homemade jam is one of my favorite things to do for them. I also love doing it because its so much better for my kids. I know EXACTLY whats going into their little growing bodies. It’s not full of processed or preservatives. Freezer jam consists of 3 things. Fresh fruit, sugar (a preservative) and pectin (thickener and preservative). It’s the best when you find a ton of strawberries dirt cheap. It’s important to grab berries when they’re inexpensive. When you find them in season at a good price grab a TON. Recently I did a Facebook live, which you can find here. I demoed exactly how i made it and showed you my little handy tricks. There is a video down below showing you how easy it is to make freezer jam. Here are a few other things you’ll need:
- Pairing knife
- Ball Jar’s or Weck Jar’s
- If you are using Ball Glass Jar’s these plastic lids are LIFE CHANGING. they don’t get all junked up like the metal ones. (you can also buy a pack of them at walmart for around $2 in the canning isle)
- Blender or Food processor
- Plastic Funnel
How to make freezer Jam
Freezer Jam take minutes to make. I’m telling you MINUTES. You’ll want to wash and sliced your berries. Then blend to the desired consistency. (if you like it a little chunky just pulse, if you like it smooth blend!) There is enough liquid in the berried that you don’t even have to add any water! Especially when you’re using a great blender like this blendtec. It’s my very favorite and we use it daily on several things! Next, in a very large bowl you will mix sugar and pectin then stir in the pureed strawberries. And from there you’re pretty much done. Seriously. Ladle them in a jars or airtight containers. Spread homemade on pbj’s, over ice cream, with nutella…or …ya know…eat it by the spoonful. Take a Jar to your friend with maybe some homemade french bread. You’ll make a lot of friends doing that :) I’ll say the VERY best is homemade jam with these dinner rolls. Every sunday and thanksgiving this is what we eat and its the best comfort food in the world.
- Fresh Berries when on sale
- Instant Pectin
- for each batch you will need
- 2 cups fresh pureed fruit
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBS instant pectin
- Puree fruit in blender to desired consistency
- In separate bowl mix sugar and pectin
- Add puree fruit to dry ingredients. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Ladle jam into jars and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Freeze. When using a jar keep refrigerated.