Everyone has a favorite treat that they grew up with that they feel is the “very best ever,” and I’m no exception. My grandpa makes the best fudge. Each Christmas he would make several batches – some with nuts, some without. I always selected the variety without the nuts because I’m a purist when it comes to treats – I like my banana bread with no chocolate chips, and my fudge free from nuts.
This last Thanksgiving my family came into town for the holiday. My mom brought a container of fudge that my grandpa had instructed her to bring. That container was gone lickity split. I savored that smooth treat all Thanksgiving weekend and later called my grandpa for the recipe. The secret to his fudge are Hershey bars! They add a distinct flavor that makes this treat unforgettable.
Making Homemade Fudge
Let me tell you – taking verbal instructions from my grandpa about this recipe was so comical. He told me ingredients such as “a small can of carnation milk” and “2/3 cube of butter.” I’m not going to lie, it took me 4 tries to get this recipe right, but once I had the ingredients down pat the recipe came together like a dream.
You start by boiling condensed milk, sugar, and butter in a large saucepan. Next you pour the hot sugar mixture over hershey bars, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and marshmallow creme and mix using the paddle attachment of your KitchenAid stand mixer until all ingredients are well incorporated. Lastly you pour the smooth, warm chocolate mixture into a foil lined 9×13 and let it cool.
After the fudge has cooled completely, you remove it from the pan, slice it into bite sized pieces and serve. This recipe makes a wonderful neighbor gift, and addition to your holiday or New Years Eve party. Feel free to make this candy ahead of time and freeze it until needed.
This hershey bar fudge is definitely a favorite holiday treat of mine. As you are making your favorite treats this week leading up to Christmas, I hope you’ll add this recipe into the rotation.
Products Used To Create This Recipe:
- 4.5 cups sugar
- 1- 12oz can of evaporated milk (NOT sweet and condensed)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 8- 1.55oz Hershey candy bars (about 12 ounces) broken or cut into pieces
- 12oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1- 7oz jar of marshmallow creme
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by lining it with foil, letting the ends hang out.
- In a large pot combine sugar, evaporated milk, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches a rolling boil. Boil for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in your stand mixer combine Hershey bar pieces, chocolate chips, and marshmallow creme.
- Pour hot mixture over chocolate and mix using the paddle attachment until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and cook completely.
- Remove from pan by using the foil as handles. Cut into bite sized pieces.
Prepared fudge can be frozen.