They just feel healthy. Healthy enough to eat a handful of dark chocolate Cadbury eggs and another handful of thin mints for dessert. It’s March, so it’s not summer yet here, but this makes it feel like it. I can’t wait to bust out these babies in the heat!
Tzatziki sauce is one of the best parts of Greek food. Fresh, cool cucumbers are used to create a beautiful, dill-infused dip. Grill some chicken, layer with lettuce, olives, tomatoes, feta…
Layer the herb-cooked lemon chicken, green-leaf lettuce, olives, sliced red onion, tomatoes, feta, and plenty of tzatziki. In your soft, homemade pita bread. Be sure to have your smoky, delicious hummus on the side. You know, because you’ll want it…
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t oregano
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 t salt
- 8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 2 t dill
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 2 diced tomatoes
- feta cheese
- green leaf lettuce
- red onions, sliced
- Marinate chicken in juice from lemon, garlic, oregano, and salt several hours.
- Prepare tzatziki sauce. Peel cucumber and cut into four long quarters. Remove seeds (with one, long slice of your knife) from each quarter so that you are left with the rind of each quarter. Discard seeds (or eat!).
- Dice remaining cucumber, place in strainer. Sprinkle cucumber with salt, and let juices drain out of cucumber into bowl below. This is to dry the cucumber out. After 1 hour, squeeze cucumber dry with towel.
- Blend about a third of the cucumber, all of the garlic cloves, dill, and lemon juice in food processor. Stir into greek yogurt and remaining cucumber. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Prepare remaining garnishes.
- Bring chicken to room temperature, then grill. Let rest before slicing, then slice chicken against grain.
- After making whole wheat pita pockets, stuff pita pockets (or create wraps) with chicken, tzatziki sauce, and remaining garnishes. Enjoy warm or cold.
prep time does not include making pita bread or hummus, which is optional