It so yummy and surprisingly easy. I think I just expected something that good to be so hard. With that being said, I know I could use practice on these things. Love Thanksgiving and pie. Who doesn’t? So- here is how you can make your Thanksgiving Pie perfect, starting with the pie crust!
Add all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, and then add shortening. Cut, using butter knives, the shortening into the dry ingredients.
Slowly pour in ice cold water and mix till pull away from side. Keep cutting till firm ball.
It is VERY important to use cold water. ICE water. You want a nice cold dough. Even after you have formed this nice firm ball it’s a good idea to put it in the fridge for a little while. After you have rolled it out, once again you can put it in the fridge. The cold dough quickly heated up in the oven is what causes a nice flakey crust.
Divide into 4 balls and roll out. top dough circles thinner
Roll out another circle for the top and transfer the same way. Crimp or style how you like, see here how to do a simple lattice pie crust. You can go all sorts of crazy creative at this point, or you can keep it simple.
Here are some of our favorite pies!
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1+ cup Ice cold water
- 1.mix dry ingredients
- 2.cut shorting into dry ingred. -use butter knives and criss cross them
- 3.slowly pour in ice cold water and mix till pull away from side. keep cutting till firm ball
- 4.divide into 4 balls and roll out. top dough circles thinner
- 5.fold into halves with transferring so no rip.
- 425 for 15 minutes
- then lower heat to 375 for 45
- roll out on generously floured surface
- poke slits top crust
- if fresh fruit or cream use fork and poke holes in bottom
- bake 25 minutes 375-400 keep eye on it!!
- sugar top crust before baking (my favorite