There can never be too many varieties of lasagna, right? This is one that my mom often made for us growing up. She is a big veggie lover and advocate of teaching children to love veggies. So we always had veggies for dinner- always. She did such a great job passing that love of healthy vegetables on to us kids. All 5 of us kids choose to eat them as adults. That’s a pretty good success rate right?
She also grows her own garden each year, and this time of year her squash is going crazy! She is trying to give it to people she has so many. We have eaten it every way possible! Including in this lasagna.
After you have boiled your noodles, prepared your sauce, mixed your ricotta mixture, chopped your veggies you are ready to assemble.
Start by spreading a little sauce at the bottom of the pan so the noodles wont stick.
Then place noodles, sauce (we always add meat- ground turkey or beef) and cheese.
Add another layer of noodles and lather on the ricotta/zucchini. Top with loads of spinach!
repeat! and then top with oodles of cheese.
Bake covered, and then let the foil come off and crisp up that cheese
- 12 Lasagna Noodles
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 med onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 24+oz marinara sauce
- 1 med zucchini, chopped
- 10-15 basil leaves
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Boil noodles according to package directions
- In a pan, saute garlic, onion and ground meat until cooked. Add sauce and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- In separate bowl mix ricotta, zucchini, basil, and Parmesan cheese. (You can save some basil as garnish on top)
- In a 9x13 pan start layering by adding sauce to the bottom of the pan. Spread out evenly so noodles don't stick.
- Layer ingredients as follows- Noodles, meat, 1/3 cup mozzarella, noodles, ricotta, spinach, noodles, meat 1/3 cup mozzarella, noodles, rest of sauce and remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350. Take off foil and bake another 15 minutes.
PRESSURE COOKER: Pre-cook noodles, or use no-boil kind. In inner pot, begin to layer 1 c sauce and 1/2 c water, then continue to layer as directed in recipe. Lock lid, set to soup/stew setting, time adjust for 20 minutes. Slow or natural release when done.